reverse light requirements

hmmmnz

hi guys,

do old cars have to have reverse lights??

all i can find is that if they have them then they either must come on automatically with the gear stick, or that they can only come on when the head lights are off,

my car has no wiring in place for reverse lights,

its been through plenty of warrants before my ownership, but that doesnt mean much as they passed it with no window wiper squirter,

and the headlight switch was a wire you pushed into a hole :D

My '75 Avenger Super doesn't have any wiring for reverse lights but the upmarket Avenger models like the Avenger GLS and Avenger Alpines did have the reverse lights wired up. I think it was optional back then.

And I think my Charger just turns on both indicators when I reverse, so no white reversing lights.

sweet, thats good news :D

i looked on the diagram and it has them listed, but i guess it was an option in 63, as there is no wiring at the back, on the bulb holders, or at the steering column (where the original 3 on the tree was located)

i'll leave as is then,

mucho thanks oldschool boffins,

much appreciated :mrgreen:

Yeah that was quite common on low spec cars. They would save a few bucks by not wiring up the reverse lights.

I am in the middle of restoring my '75 Avenger so I will put some bulbs in and wire up the reverse lights

the way i read the law on them is if 1 works they both have to,but if neither ones goes(eg not wired),they dont have to go at all.my 83 mkV sport just flew threw a warrant with no mention of them not working.although possibly newer cars do need them going????

the way i read the law on them is if 1 works they both have to,but if neither ones goes(eg not wired),they dont have to go at all.my 83 mkV sport just flew threw a warrant with no mention of them not working.although possibly newer cars do need them going????

Some cars only have one reverse light though?

I thought it was; if the car has reverse light/s, they must work. If it doesn't have them, then obviously they can't and don't need to work.