Bogging when accelerating??

savageoutlaw

Something that I have noticed with my Datsun, is that when I accelerate (In a hurry anyways) is that it sounds as if the fuel is cutting out. The engine goes then is silent and goes (In quick recessions).

It goes back to normal when I take foot off accelerator and then accelerate again.

Is this just me going to hard on it or is there something wrong with the fuel pump?

Running A15 engine with electronic fuel pump.

Sorry if its a stupid question, Not the most car savvy person.

Probably what's happening is that as soon as you open the throttle plate, the low pressure that was in the manifold (high vacuum) is very quickly brought up to atmospheric (low vacuum). This causes the much of the fuel that is in the manifold heading to the engine to condense out and stick to the manifold walls, hence you run lean for a bit until the flow from the carb catches up.

How to fix it on a A15? No clue :) Aside from what has already been said, does it have an accelerator pump on the carb?

Has it got the jap SU carb copies like some other datsuns? If so it could be the oil level for the damper on the top of carb/s is a touch low. If the piston at the bottom of the rod is not at least touching the oil then you will have some undamped movement and the piston will lift too quick and lean the mixture out enough that the car will bog down.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Will try out some fixes when I get the car back later in the week. (Getting new extractors and exhaust installed)

It has an electric fuel pump where the wiring used to play up and Hitachi twin SU style carbs. (Which I'm still looking for air filters to suit) .

unsure on SUs but webers/dellortos like to have a restrictor to limit the incoming fuel pressure otherwise the needle valves cant shut off leading to just as many problems as a weak supply.

so, your electric fuel pump could be providing too much fuel pressure to the carbs, so your bogging could be flooding?

Yep defrost check those oil levels in carb dampers. My viva started to bog down when I would pull away needing me to ride clutch. I checked oil level in carb and it looked ok but was actually about 5 mm to low. Hence the very first bit of piston lift on the carb was un-damped. Topped oil up= transformation.

Yep a regulator, or better yet a fuel pump that provides the correct pressure (so your not wasting money by restricting your fancy new pump). I think webers like no more than 4 psi. They do like volume, but not under pressure.

Not a problem ive actually had to resolve myself, just been reading up on carbies a lot lately and I read that high pressure leccy fuel pumps (esp those designed for FI) are often an overlooked cause of problems on carburetted fuel systems. Sometimes more is not always better.

this is what i am fuelling twin 40 DHLA's in the Te71, although probably dosn't really need the reulator, if using a return line ( I am not )

http://www.fuelflow.co.nz/FF_cms_03/esh ... gory_id=28

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/sytec- ... r-30-p.asp

used to have a Facet Red pump in the car, and had similar issues with bogging on acceleration, these may have been prevented with either a regulator, or a return line