tools source - in wellington - where to buy good kit

snapper

hi team

I'm going to need a ball joint separator; am getting 'tooled up' to do my lower control arms on my not-at-all OS e46, in a few week's time.

I recall reading that one of the OS brethren had sourced one from Supercheap and had it replaced a couple of times, and then got a refund. So ISTM the Stanley (IIRC) is to be avoided.

I'm not going to be using it often, so it doesn't need to be Snap-On flash - but one that's not going to break, would be the go.

image_4324.jpg

this is the harbor freight BJ separator (sounds a bit rude) - only USD16.99 and it's forged too. but of course they don't freight to niu zild.

Any suggestions? Preferably Wellington-based.

cheers

Snapper

PS - not sure if this should go in General Chat, instead? Mods, please move to most appropriate area. cheers.

if you are breaking these then you are doing it wrong..

you dont need f all tension on them,give the arm a tap next to where the bj stud goes into the arm..itll release..

i do balljoints on quads and trucks just about every day and have never broken one of these

we got ours from topmaq in chch

The fork? DO NOT WANT!!

All i've ever used to do this is a big hammer, haven't met one yet that could say no. That said, I was using girl hits until a mechanic friend showed me how to hit it properly :lol:

Even with that repco tool, a big hammer does most of the work.

I for the life of me could not get mine apart, even with it out of the car hitting it with a sledge hammer and dad putting pressure with a massive steel bar :\ The problem with separators is that they usually ruin the rubber right?

thanks for the responses, guys.

yes, the pickle fork will be deployed any time the ball joint separator is not doing it's thang (I have a 5lb lump hammer to 'persuade' it) - eg as a weapon combo of last choice. there are two ball joints on the bottom control arms, plus a captive bush on the e46... and these are aside from the ball joints on the tie-rod ends.

and of course being german, it's got lots of alloy too. :pirate:

E46CAKITMY.jpg?1300480359

buy yours at http://www.fcpgroton.com

best I have a chat with the repco gang next week, see how much rapeage of my wallet is expected.

groan.

Always use the correct tool for the job, save your knuckles and vital components.

Hammer trick works okay on cast arms etc, although I have seen some horror story hits given to drop arms etc and you never know what may crack out of sight, especially with cast. Not a fan of smashing steering components with hammers.

Fork works okay, but again only if you are replacing the components.

I have the Repco ball joint splitter, works great, leave the nut on at the end of the thread if you are reusing the joint and tighten just till there's tension on and then give it a good shock with a hammer- 'shock' been the operative word, don't smash everything in sight and use the biggest hammer you can find.

Word