Datto610's 1977 180B CA18DET Discussion

datto_610

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah think it could be an empty lifter, will pull cam covers off next time I'm out there and investigate. Super stoked that it actually started with no hassles! Filled with oil disconnected ecu, removed coil packs, cranked over a few times would've gone home happy with just that happening. Hooked everything back up turned key heard fuel pump prime then it started!!!! Mounted my new fuel and send lines yesterday pretty pleased with how they came out, in all the excitement I didn't take many photos so will put some up when I'm back with the 180. Will sort that noise, plumb up IC hook up rad hoses fill with coolant and all the other niggly bits then start her up again :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Emma but unfortunately still trying to track that dam noise down! Had cam covers off last weekend all the lifters appear to be primed with oil, plenty of oil getting up top. Did a compression test and came out with 150psi on all 4 cylinders. Checked timing and all marks line up.  Going to drain the oil tomorrow to see if anything is floating around in there, also have a mate coming round with a bore scope to have a geez at the inside. So it's not lifters, doesn't sound like a run bearing(from what other people have told me), did think about a valve hitting a piston, other than something flying around in the block/head I can't think of anything else that it could be. Would hate to have to strip it all down but I may have no other choice  :(

• Like 1

Have found the problem... Went home feeling pretty bummed out but at least I can move on and sort it out now. Had some CA fiends pop round yesterday with a bore scope was pretty cool having a looksey inside. #4 has what we think might be some material from the head sitting on the top of it also has a quite a few dings from what are thinking is a bent valve hitting the top of the piston. Timing was not actually correct was out about 2 or 3 teeth out so set that back up properly but there is still interference when turning it over by hand. Also re did the compression test on #1 and #4 and came out with about 130psi. Head is definitely coming off now. Will be on the look out for another to swap it over after I get hardness tested etc. So once that is done hopefully it will run properly. For now I'll be focusing on front and rear suspension. Have had a platform welded to my front struts for the threaded sleeve to sit on. I didn't like the idea of welding the sleeve to the strut itself incase I needed to change it later on. Pics to follow. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Before bolting the crank pulley back on James(85_Z31) suggested that I drill and tap two holes on the pulley to assist in future removals like other crank pulleys have. But Mr Nissan decided the CA pulley didn't need them and didn't leave enough metal in the center to do so, as you can see in the pic below there is only about 5mm of metal showing. So decided to flag that idea and just slap it back on. Getting it off wasn't that hard anyway with two big flat head screwdrivers and being very careful. Was planning to remove starter motor to stop engine rotating but James gave me an idea, seeing as I already had the front half of a driveshaft in the gearbox to stop oil coming out I used a piece of flat bar with two holes in it that James uses when working on diffs to bolt to driveshaft put box into gear and the bar hit the ground thus stopping engine from turning over when tightening pulley bolt. Still needs to be torqued up but got it tight enough for a test start anyway. And yes I put box back into neutral before start up!

20130811_124708_zps8849ee71.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ha very funny Kane! Yes I know I've been neglecting the 180 a bit as of late. But seeing as Hanmer is only a week and a bit away I needed to get the Laurel sorted. So after Hanmer it's full steam ahead on the 180!! I'm hoping to convince my mate who I'm house sitting for to let me put the 180 in his garage. It would seem I work on my cars more when they are at someone else's place/my garage is a shoebox.