alternator cooked?

Beaver

Borg, why not 14V across terminals? My experience is only with mid eighties Japanese cars, but I thought common charging voltage was 13.8-14.4V?

yeah this is what i thought too mine sits at 13.9-14.1v depending on load i guess thats more down to the reg tho

Thats a tough one to answer dude.

Your alternator is doing something, which is good. I mean it goes up when you rev the car which means its doing something.... If the battery has been flat before (and it sounds like it's been flat a few times) then it's toast... But before you put a new one in, make sure thats the problem as it will just kill another battery if it isn't.

if an alternator puts out anything between 13.5V (float) and 14.4V (boost), you're fine. Some do even more which is getting a bit high but not (too) deadly. You want to boost your battery to 2.4V per cell (6 cells in a 12V battery) and float them out at 2.25V per cell. The boost phase is there to equalise all the cells in the battery which isn't needed every time, but is a good thing to do every so often. Some clever regulators will even do an automatic boost charge every so often but you won't have that luxury.

A more usefull thing to try would be using a current clamp meter to see how much current is flowing from the alternator to the battery. One good sign of the battery is that it sits lower than what your alternator puts out when the battery isn't connected, which means its possibly not completely fucked. If it quickly goes up/down then it's just fucked and won't hold a charge. If it stays fairly constant, then it's taking a charge.

Go for another drive (long) drive. Measure the voltage after starting, drive for 15 min on the motorway and measure again and then drive back home via motorway and measure again. I say motorway because you want high(ish) revs and you want them constantly.

Thats he only tip i've got at this point...

If a gauge backlight flattens the battery, its probably not that good to start with. In my experience, a typical car battery is crap after being flat 3-4 times. Your alternator is putting out a reasonable voltage so the first thing to do is just get a new battery or trickle charge the shit outta your one.

Its far too tempting to make this more complicated than it actually is.

right, went to go for a drive, battery went flat after about 5secs turning over ( was no fuel as I had just had the feul pump off the car).

was 11.2v in when I tried to start, and 9v when it would no longer turn over. will give it a good charge/probably wont but I think its fucked

• 2 weeks later...