Ling's Silver Grand Father ---- Plan B (NOT a SPAM THREAD)

LingLing

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

so here is the thing.

This particular bit of rust is pain in the ass. I took it to a rust repair, he told me it's a double layer, the second layer looks very clean and he could cut and weld which requires the fuel tank to be removed. But he insists that using plastic bog is easier and much cheaper, and could be more rust proven as well.

He also mentioned doesn't matter is welding or bogging. The rust might come back later because of the double layer, and he couldn't put fish oil in it.

another question:

Is there anyway to strip the bumpers paint, so I could get someone to restore the bumper to factory plastic with no Paint?

any thoughts?

P1000252.jpg

any thoughts?

Lol.

Lol at your intial estimation of $200 to rid an 80s toyota of all rust.

Lol at the panelbeater who cbf'd doing it properly (likely considering he knows you don't want to pay much)

Lol at the fact that you haven't even had it stripped yet and seen how bad it really is ( I saw your other pics of painted over surface rust, thats an alarm bell for a lot of short term cover up work whenever I see it)

Just lol really.

Its time for you to sit down and work out what you really want from the car. A properly restored rust free AE86 or a tidy, usable, solid but not immaculately rust free example. The former will cost you a truckload of LV purses and serious commitment.

Its time for you to sit down and work out what you really want from the car. A properly restored rust free AE86 or a tidy, usable, solid but not immaculately rust free example.

When you can answer that, I can give you advice

I struggle to motivate myself to give you actual advice if you're:

A) not going to listen to it

B) You think you know best anyway

C) You don't want to commit to an end outcome which will influence the way you should go about things from the start.

To answer your question about stripping your bumper: No. Not without using some kind of expensive media blasting that I dont know of. Better off just sanding and repainting whatever colour/texture you want.

I would suggest (probably in vain) that you atleast go see another panelbeater for a second opinion as I dont like the sound of the guy you are using.

Also suggest you work out how much you're prepared to spend as that will dictate the outcome. He's not gonna restore your car for $200.

I would suggest (probably in vain) that you atleast go see another panelbeater for a second opinion as I dont like the sound of the guy you are using.

Also suggest you work out how much you're prepared to spend as that will dictate the outcome. He's not gonna restore your car for $200.

just to answer you question.

Firstly, I have never said $200 is the exact cost. It's a minimun estimate cost I thought would be.

Have seen 2 panel beaters so far, 3 rust repair. Quotes between 300-400. There is No other sturacture rust we could find on this car at this stage.

Paint will exceed 1.2g mark.

just take the tank out.

its not hard 1/2 hour to an hour max.

but if you cant do that you are going to have to pay someone to do it, which will probably cost you $200 just to remove and re install the tank. thus blowing your estimate out of the water instantly.

you will NEVER get the car 100% rust free, 80s toyotas were factory fitted with rust, even if you cant see it, its there. putting a bandaid on a stab wound really.

that being said get everything you can see done PROPERLY, it will probably be good for another 10+ years. But it wont be cheap for a good job.

Listen to DANGER, he knows what he is on about.

just to answer you question.

Firstly, I have never said $200 is the exact cost. It's a minimun estimate cost I thought would be.

Have seen 2 panel beaters so far, 3 rust repair. Quotes between 300-400. There is No other sturacture rust we could find on this car at this stage.

Paint will exceed 1.2g mark.

First thing I'd do is try ascertain how much rust is in that corner. Then I'd look at how the water got in there(presumably from the window or boot) and why it has been trapped in that spot. Could be a bit of sealant from when they put the petrol filler panel on thats trapping water there. Or a blocked drain hole. Or the whole corner could be rusted out and bogged over.

If you're gonna take the band-aid approach, atleast look for the reason its rusted there first or it'll bubble up again in no time.

Also I dont know 86's but I'm sure you could get fishoil in there if you tried. Water can obviously get in there and fishoil seeps everywhere

And I also doubt that tank really needs to come out. Especially as there supposedly is no access behind the first skin. But again, I dont know 86's...

Serious advice here so PLEASE listen to it:

If you want your car to be factory-spec and fully restored

THEN....

Take the car back to bare metal and THEN start fixing the rust.

That way you can see exactly where ALL the rust is (who knows how much is hidden under the paint/bog) and fix it all.

PLUS <---and this is very important

You can then prevent water from collecting in the same spots again.

You are realistically going to have to spend at least twice what you have already budgeted for paint just to get the panel work up to paintable level. $1200 will get the already existing layers of bog and rust painted in a nice colour that will just bubble up and fuck out in a few years.

Then someone like me will end up with the car and put a voodoo curse on you for not doing a proper job in the first place, and have to do EVERYTHING himself (including all the worse rust that will have developed by then)

I know this will likely annoy you to hear, but trust me, it is EXACTLY the situation that happened with my car.

The guy that had it before me did some rust work, the guy before him did some too etc etc but at no point did anyone do a PROPER job and so it only rusted out where you can't see it, and all the bog just added to it.

LEARN FROM OTHER'S MISTAKES

(Don't be THAT guy who does a half-arsed job to save money now, and cost some poor fucker in the future - it's a dick move)

To do that would be an expensive exercise and take your car off the road and out of your hands for a lot longer.

Hence why I think you should work out what it is you want to achieve before starting into it.

I'd suggest that rust be cut and welded properly and that you treat the cause of it. Then accept your car for what it is and just enjoy it till you have the money and decide you want to take it off the road for a restoration if that is what you wish to do.

why do you guys think this car is full of rust?

It has been rust repaired once before about 5 years ago, had fish oill pretty much in the entire car. and it is still pretty good condition expect the one under the fuel cap.

the quater windows have never been off, I took it off because I know in experince there are usually have a rust or two.

I do agree the best plan is to strip it to bare metal no matter how tidy the car is.

I just don't have my own space to strip it down yet, not because of the cash tbh.

hopefully after this rust repair, there ain't going to be any more bubles coming out at least in next 5 years or longer.

Full restoration is on the list at some point, which would also be my engine and gear box and diff rebuilding time.

So, which reminds me, maybe it is a good idea just doing a touch up spray rather than spraying half of the car. hmmm.