VW engine cold on one side?

tregath

A few months ago I was given a VW engined beast that is not too far away from being on the road (which is when the thread with pictures will be put up). Its a 1300 aircooled. I have just pulled the carb apart for a good clean as it was leaking (still is, any one got hookups for carb kits?)

and now it is running barely but has a very different symptom.

It seems to be running on all 4 but the exhaust manifold on the left does not get hot, while the right gets to normal temprature. everything seems to be firing correctly and they are all sparking.

this has me stumped.

its not running at low revs and when running at half throttle sounds like its running normally apart from a hole in the exhaust.

Any one have any ideas?

oh yea its also missing one wheel

Yeah I agree with these guys that the firing order doesn't sound right try swapping the HT leads front to rear on the cold side..

To me it sounds like you have read the dizzy rotation the wrong way and have mistakenly traced 2 of the leads.. Easy mistake and I've made it myself.

yeh, the golf mk2 I tested today stalls all the time at cold, but when's warm, it idels at around 200-400 rpm i was very stoked.

Completely different motor lingling, one is water cooled the other is air cooled and has no radiator.

I know that the problem with the mk2 is the idle control valve on top of the motor. If you take it off and clean it out with brake clean it will run fine for a month or two.

Unsure to the actual motor in question though lol

Check the valves when cold. Unless the valves are properly seated then they don't allow the heat to go into the head. Firing order is 1-4-3-2. Left hand side far cylinder (if you are looking at the engine from the back) is number 3. The one under the oil cooler. Unless you have a doghouse fanshroud, so called because it is out of the airflow of the fanshroud. This cylinder is the weakest in the engine. There could be a deeper problem with your cylinder head or burnt valve.

But this is the easiest to check. To start to off on the right direction here are the vintage training videos complete with bacon frying in the background.

EpH7VftH3_I

xm4OmiVH2J0

XOxxS1EMphU

Are the plugs wet? otherwise look for an air leak, check the rubber joins between the carb and the head to see if its split/leaking?

IMO, if its an air leak it will be that one of the pipes going to the intake ports is loose at the head or just not sealing at the head. check the bolts that hold the intake manifold on are tight.