Pinto Cam - roller rocker conversion?

eke_zetec_RWD

it was made from a brand new blank, "turbo grind". geometry is perfect. ohh forgot to say its a 2000cc pinto turbo.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12383&start=20

the cam will have a reduced base circle though because in the past its been reground to clean it up.

u work for kelford yes? when i set it up i ended up having to use lash caps to get the rocker on the right angle and correct wear

pad contact. the contact on the pad stops about 3mm from each end of the pad. ( long hard chrome pads on rocker )

the cam was run in on the outer springs only. new spray bar also fitted. (this about 3 years ago)

Can you put up some pictures of the damaged lobes? What do the rocker arm slipper pads look like?

Without seeing the damage I would suggest you try another cam grind. Although the geometry may be perfect, on a slipper pad OHC valvetrain it is common to have oil entrainment issues where the pad/lobe is effectively run dry of oil for a portion of the sweep. Its a huge problem for aftermarket grinds on sr20's and pinto's and is commonly overlooked when cams are designed the old-fashioned way.

Edit/ Setup and run-in sounds spot on.

i had a esslinger roller rocker in my hand yesterday to compair it with a normal rocker and the shape is very different, they would require longer valves and pedistalls. and obvisously a new cam profile to suit the roller rocker. i cant seem to find other companys making roller kits

yip will put up pics in next post

the old mans ff2000 pinto motor was doin something similar, it was even spittin the rocker arm off! and as stated it was to do with seat pressures and high revs. kelfords rebuilt the head this time and now its mint. also running an oil with zddp in it helped, especially in old engines, i use it in the ca18det and shit it runs so much smoother than a full synthetic.

Simon (Nismo ..?) on here had a set for sale about 4 years back. See if he ever sold em.

One of mine did same thing and spat rocker arm off like said above. Went to billet cam after and lash caps with no issues so far.

Gaz

Simon (Nismo ..?) on here had a set for sale about 4 years back. See if he ever sold em.

One of mine did same thing and spat rocker arm off like said above. Went to billet cam after and lash caps with no issues so far.

Gaz

i remember that, i cant remember if i got his set or another set from someone at the same time and they were fucked. might of

been someone else though. hopfully voldo will sell me a new cam and followers. i might make it duel spray bar, cant hurt.

Gaz

i remember that, i cant remember if i got his set or another set from someone at the same time and they were fucked. might of

been someone else though. hopfully voldo will sell me a new cam and followers. i might make it duel spray bar, cant hurt.

ivr just flicked nismo capri a text he may have some roller rockers you can check out.

the old mans ff2000 pinto motor was doin something similar, it was even spittin the rocker arm off! and as stated it was to do with seat pressures and high revs. kelfords rebuilt the head this time and now its mint. also running an oil with zddp in it helped, especially in old engines, i use it in the ca18det and shit it runs so much smoother than a full synthetic.

Oil can be an issue for sure. I use penrite HPR30 because it has the right amount of Zinc and phosphorous additives for a flat tappet cam according to http://roverp5.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general31&action=print&thread=2579 many modern oils have way less IIRC it's because they lessen the life of catalytic converters.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/engine-oils/hpr/hpr_30_premium_mineral

Pinto's are notorious for chewing cams in the early days it was because of a mismatch with the hardness between the cam and rocker but that shouldn't be an issue now.

Gaz

nah not me I still have them, I got them from playhard racing on traders but he didn't say one had been repaired :x

They look very usable still $200 if anyone wants them, cost me $210 + postage

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

I've also got these, same as what Esslinger use.

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

I was going to list them on traders as PK from Kennelly Cams did me a custom grind for my filled port head, having a higher port velocity means you can close the inlet later getting more ram effect ...I think :)

$300 if you want them

Cheers

Simon

img00671b.jpg

img00661.jpg

img00651o.jpg

img00641k.jpg

img00631.jpg

img00561.jpg

put the rockers in to see how they fit, needs about 8mm thick lash cap on the valve to make it work. and although the

ball studs are long enough i feel longer ones would be better as that would leave more thread in the head.

has anyone ever bought lash caps this thick before? looks like i will have to make them myself.....