Advice on heat shielding solutions?

Roman

Hey guys,

Basically I've got a few areas of my car which I want to protect a little better from exhaust heat, and for the exhaust manifold I want some type of shielding that will stop radiant heat from cooking the engine bay or melting things or whatever.

Exhaust wrap seems PERFECT apart from the fact that the friggen stuff is useless and discintegrates almost just after you've finished putting it on. bah!

Ceramic coating of the exhaust manifold is an option, but $$ and does this wear off, or stop much in the way of radiant heat? I understand why/how it works but I cant help but be a little skeptical that such a thin coating can prevent a really hot manifold from radiating heat in the same way that exhaust wrap could...

For another area, I just want a patch of (xyz material) to be stuck to the underside of the car, so it's not being heated where the exhaust is very close.

Any reccomendations on what would suit, in each case? (that isnt exhaust wrap)

I had limited success heat wrapping the 2-1 section and then hose clamping a 1mm thick aluminium sheet around it to protect it, but this isnt going to work for the 4-2 section where the shape is more complicated.

This stuff is good they sell it at ACL out west

Ideally you want an air gap between the source of the heat and the shield, and another air gap between the shield and whatever it is protecting.

It's not cheap, but these flexible sheets are brilliant.

DSC_6432.jpg

i havnt seen first hand but the manager at my work pit crews for a trans-am, they got the headers ceramic coated, aparantly the difference was night and day, dropped exhaust mani temp by like 500 degrees. it is very expensive tho. ill be doing my mani, exhaust housing and dump pipe once i upgrade.

most of the temp difference from the ceramic coat comes from the change in colour, they coat it shiney silver one of the worst colours to radiate heat if you had it done matt black twould be worse im sure

The 'best' ceramic coating that is on offer from one of the places, is black or grey.

http://www.hpcoatings.co.nz/ExhaustHeat ... fault.aspx

Sounds like a great option, but expensive!