fwd close ratio gearbox options

Rhyscar

this might be a bit different for OS but i know there are some clever cookies on here and plenty of people with heaps of experience of building race cars so thought i'd get some e-pinions.

so the old man runs in ss2000 in a ae82 fxgt. its running a blacktop 4age with C56 gearbox. one thing we are thinking about is how to get the gearbox ratios a bit better for racing as they are currently quite tall, with no options for changing final drive or gearset (as far as we know)

so interested to hear a few thoughts on a couple of ideas i've had

- motorbike gearbox - added bonus of sequential shifting, lots of effort to rig up though axles made etc.

- Quaife - do they make a standard FWD box with diff?, just need to make driveshafts and bellhousing

- Gearsets - does anyone know who makes them for toyota fwd boxes? TRD ones aren't in production anymore..

so what are peoples thoughts? has anyone seen any of this stuff done before and was it good/bad?

just testing the water nothing will probably happen for a while.

with blacktop c56 you already have the best factory option. lowest diff ratio (4.3) and evenly spaced gears. c52 ratios arent as good, and use the same final drive. the 6 speed box maybe a little better, but aren't as strong as the 5 speed, should be fine unless abusing it though. doubt will be that much of an improvement gearing wise.

possible to drop tyre diameter at all?

I drove the 2001 celica 6spd, that would be ideal ratios for racing. 1st was way lower than the black top 1st. 3rd was AWESOME, great power around town. Didnt buy the car, the better half thought it was ugly and the supercharger whine was 'annoying' .. her words .. not mine.

6 speeds are only margainly better than the c56 ratio's wise and you trade off reliability.

looked at c60's a bit but not really enough of an improvement to justify it as you can't change the final drive at all in any of the fwd toyota boxes.

running smaller tyres is not really doable as limited on tyre sizings for 15's and can't go any smaller to fit over brakes.

keep the suggestions coming!

Why not go to someone like Gear Cutting Services and get a new final drive/5th gear made?

http://www.gearcutting.co.nz/

Depending on how much power your making and where your powerband is, you could look at plotting the gears and rpm drops and then figure out what would suit you the best.

Have a look at a gear calculator like: http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/inforatios.html

Quaife do make gearsets which you can purchase without the housings (atleast for the pugs they do)

this might be a bit different for OS but i know there are some clever cookies on here and plenty of people with heaps of experience of building race cars so thought i'd get some e-pinions.

so the old man runs in ss2000 in a ae82 fxgt. its running a blacktop 4age with C56 gearbox. one thing we are thinking about is how to get the gearbox ratios a bit better for racing as they are currently quite tall, with no options for changing final drive or gearset (as far as we know)

so interested to hear a few thoughts on a couple of ideas i've had

- motorbike gearbox - added bonus of sequential shifting, lots of effort to rig up though axles made etc.

- Quaife - do they make a standard FWD box with diff?, just need to make driveshafts and bellhousing

- Gearsets - does anyone know who makes them for toyota fwd boxes? TRD ones aren't in production anymore..

so what are peoples thoughts? has anyone seen any of this stuff done before and was it good/bad?

just testing the water nothing will probably happen for a while.

Are you on Toyspeed?

Im pretty sure that Grant Te Reo* spelling has a custom close ratio box in his ae82 race car

Might be an idea to send him a PM link to his build thread below

http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=58554

yeah just been up at his place this weekend rebuilding his car. he scored that through some good contacts and no, there aren't any more of them floating around.

one option i found was convert to a c60 box (2zz 6 speed) as C-one do a gearset for them. although haven't really been able to find much info on them and c60 gearboxes are hard to come by anyway!

That could be the best option, find a gearbox that is well supported with a aftermarket gearset and suits your application (ie fits in the car) and cut and weld the bellhousing to suit. Ive seen cut welded bellhousings a few times, its not pretty but works just fine!

That could be the best option, find a gearbox that is well supported with a aftermarket gearset and suits your application (ie fits in the car) and cut and weld the bellhousing to suit. Ive seen cut welded bellhousings a few times, its not pretty but works just fine!

even better; bellhousings are bolt up as far as i can tell. 2zz and have the same clutch as well i'm currently using a 2zz trd clutch in my 4ag atm and it works fine! only problem would be figuring out driveshafts...

Well if the driveshaft outputs sit in the correct-ish place the driveshafts are easy as shit, just get them made to the correct sizes. Seems like you have solved your problem, it may cost abit of $$ but is better than the other options you listed :D unless you are super rich and want to buy a quaife sequentail 6-speed? I think the basic FWD one starts at 10k with no bellhousing