Externally Regulated alternators

EURON8

Van is being pissy again.

OK, i will try my best to explain the situation

Alternator light on

Found voltage reg

Found wire that triggers warning light etc. When plugged in and vehicle running, the solenoid does not move.

Manually pushing it turns warning light off

Supplying 12v from earth to appropriate terminal triggers the solenoid and makes it do what it should

Have tested the correct wire from alternator to reg and it has no breaks3

With vehicle running and volt meter from earth to pin on alternator that should supply current the trigger above solenoid gives 1.2ish volts at idle and bit over 2v with some revs.

This is a long winded way of asking what voltages should i be seeing?

The alternator has 5 wires.

The 2 big ones connect to the same terminal and see about 11.8v at idle

The other three are in the same 3 pin plug and all are getting some pretty low voltages or none prehapos.

This is all leading me to believe a bung alternator.

however, This is the same one from the old motor and none of the vans wiring loom has been altered for the conversion. It was working perfectly on the old motor, and worked at first with new motor then didn't, then did now doesn't again.. The only issue is the loom was getting some pressure on it from various hoses which have now been moved. All wires i've tested and my understanding of the circuit and how it works points to no breaks in any of these wires.

go!

Apparently the alternator has been checked and is good.

It wouldn't hurt to pull it out and check it yourself though. Unless you have a wiring fault then I'm struggling to see how it can be anything other than a faulty alternator.

I take it you tried that other regulator that I gave you?

that reg u gave me is different. Mine has a secondary contact on one solenoid which the new one lacked. Mine also had some diode thing across some terminals. I tried it anyway. Didnt work.

Will pull it out and clean it.

Pain in the arse as its square peg round hole kinda deal getting the thing in and out of its little posi.

Bring your old alternator in to me at work. I can bench test it or swap it for an internally regulated alternator as i have about 20 in stock off various cars. Maybe we can find one that has similar mounting brackets. I also need to point out all this will cost you nothing.

Easy to rewire to work with internal reg.

Give me a call at work, we are open 8am to 5pm weekdays

http://www.redwoodautoelectrical.co.nz

Andrew

What a fucking GC!

Thanks heaps man, will report back once its back in and tested.

Took my alternator out to him, Bushes were poked, and he replaced then, had a yarn about projects, looked at HQs and 2j gems. Was all g.