Shift lights and wiring them in....

yoeddynz

I want a really small adjustable shift light that I can mount under my strip speedo. Something like a little bright Led that will only be noticed when it shines.

The reason is because I like my old school strip speedo and I don't want to mount my rev counter on top of the dash for asthetic reasons. So currently the RC is mounted under my dash and is fine for general tuning etc but when I want to rag it I want to keep my eye on the road and not be looking down.

I have searched for such things as little discreet leds but it seems that every thing available out there is the size of a small lighthouse and capable of lighting up a hall. Thats not me or the style I want.

So I thought I could buy something like this....

190360864full.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 583258.htm

then rip the guts out, mount the adjuster under the dash and wire it to a little led flush mounted into my dash.

Could it be that easy? It looks like this above example would be wired in parallel with my current old Trisco rev counter I have mounted under the dash.

Does anyone know of other simple kits that offer a adjustable light that just simply wire into the stock rev counter?

Use an LM2917, a few caps and resistors, regulator, couple of pots and a comparator, transistor and you're away laughing really.

I just built exactly what you said in that order, turned it on. The telly exploded and dinosaur magically appeared in the microwave. I think the comparator was backwards?

These Gizmo ones phatt20? what are they like and where are they sold?

Yeah dinosaurs are cool till they grow up - then they just eat all your food and shit anywhere they want.

Nothing worse than coming out to the kitchen after a hard night on the razz to find your brekkie has been devoured and a big dino turd smack in the middle of the lounge.

I had already thought about that and Dino is now in the wood shed. But walkies will be a problem though because its quite obviously a dinosaur, can't hide that, and I fear some locals might frown upon me walking a dinosaur at the local riverbank.