basic help

shizzl

ok,so im a lost boy when it comes to wiring..

i have a window reg that i need to rewire cos some dumb fool has chopped the loom to bits..

so how can i wire it up to a toggle switch?

and what type of toggle switch do i use? the 3 terminal one?

the window reg only has 2 wires,and somehow i need to reverse the way the power gets to it..

any help???

well at the moment it has speaker cable (why oh why?? some people) run through to the reg motor from the battery, to wind it up and down you need to put them on the battery then swap it round to wind it back up etc...

this is for the back door..

would be nice to have a switch on the dash..the original switch is the back door lock...

but some knob has hacked every thing up in there...

What you need is a DPDT (dual pole dual throw) switch. The switch you have linked to is a SPDT (single pole dual throw), the DPDT switch has two sets of contacts on the inside - hence the 'dual pole' part. You need this so you can reverse the polarity to the motor.

Here's a link that shows you how to wire it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO%3A-Wire-a-DPDT-rocker-switch-for-reversing-po/

Just beware that you will no longer have the automatic shutoff like you have with the original switch unit so if you hold the switch down once the window has moved all the way up or down then you will either blow a fuse or melt the switch.

Get a factory switch from a wrecker or you can use a simple 3 pin toggle switch with 2x change over relays would work perfect and would be lots easier to wire up.

thats what i was thinking of,but i have no idea which wires go where etc..

i can make sparks but im no sparky

usually in most cars the door loom runs from the door to the piller through a rubber boot usually if you pull that out and the wires out from the piller then theres usually a plug incase you need to remove the door for some reason so you don't need to cut the wires thats why i said you could just get a door loom from the wreckers and just plug it in the piller then to the factory window switch and the window motor plug-n-play

or you can do your own custom wireing