SR20 engine issue **SOLVED**

OSM Garage

Calling all Nissan techies!

I have a Nissan Prairie with a SR20 that wont start.

Apparently (car belongs to a female) the car ran fine when they parked it in the garage. It sat for a couple of days and when they tried to start it up to day it started, then conked out, and wouldnt start again.

Just had a look at it and when the engine is turned over it almost sounds like there is no compression. There is also a slight fuel smell. When cranking the cat light and airbag light comes on. Engine light is on as well.

Im gonna tow the car to my place tomorrow and have a better look at it but in the meantime does anyone know what may be the cause of this fault? (from the vague description)

Churbro

Sorta sounds same as what happened to my sr20,Would fire then seem to flood itself and just sit there winding over sounding like it had no compression,Used to leave it and come right,one day wouldnt start at all,Turned out the be the fuel pump

SR20s often have an issue with the hydraulic lifters pumping up too much and leaving the valves partially open, therefore giving you little to no compression. Often it is because of the viscosity of the oil used - I would do an oil change with 10W40 or 15W40, unplug the fuel injectors or just remove the fuse to the ECU and then keep winding it over until it starts to get more compression, then plug injectors/ecu fuse back in and see if it fires.

Good tips. Cheers guys.

Makes sense if it is indeed the lifters. No compression = No fire. That may also explain the gassy smell huh?

might be worth chucking some cleaner in there too to chew the insides of the lifters clear

What cleaner would be suitable?

they flood easy too. put ya foot flat on the pedal and winde it over for ages, hook up some jumper leads if you have too. i wouldnt bother pulling egi fuse or anything. plugs will be wet, shitty old s.plugs dont help either, you can check one if you want. next oil change use promar mbl8 as per instructions

Fuel 'n' Goose......On the money! Took a heap of attempts but eventually got it going.

Had the Sigma with jumper leads on and cranked till it wouldnt crank no more. Each time the compression would get better. After about 30mins of trying it fired.

Thanks heaps guys for the info and help!

Much appreciated.