OldNathans RX30 Cressida 1UZ discussion

OldNathan

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting. How would I go about the rears though because I sure as hell aint doing what he did haha. Bloody nice job though. I know if I get coilovers I will get some sort of diff and better box and hit the track. Why not.

I have those HKS Coilovers for the JZZ30 Soarer I can cut up. Might look at them this arvo and put them in the shed and have a measure up. Roll on Wednesday and trial fit this engine for mounts. Then I will update my project build.

Yeah then I get to the issue of the small tube that they fit in heading up to where they bolt. Run them upside down maybe hahah. Could I just go from where they bolt at the bottom to where the tube starts?

Randomly just found this.

http://danmirfin.blogspot.com/2011/05/r ... et-up.html

But he has got to the conclusion to do the same as that AE86 with the turrets. If you have a look at the 3rd picture down(that has probs/ issue), could you bolt a top hat to where the arrow points that says prob? So the tube wasnt even used? Just a thought.

I wouldnt look at doing a coilover shock system in the back without adding alot of metal.

Why are you going for a coilover shock when the BC shocks are height ajustable and you just cut a heavyer spring to match.

Do you mean add more metal to the top of the tower to give it strength. I can see that that would have only been made to hold a shock not a full coilover system. I wonder what it would need for bracing. I dont mind getting the BC's I was just thinking if I could get a rear coilover to fit then why not. Has anyone had issure with the tower not being strong enough?

One of the reasons I was looking into this was the guy before me had added Mitsi shocks in the back and lowering springs that seated at the bottom of the tower(the spring that is). Now he didnt have a perch or anything so was very dodgy, but he drove it all round the country like that. Not saying it was good for it but as I havent heard any horror stories yet I also dont know if it is bad for it.

You would need to strengthen the bottom where the shock eye slides on and then to get a cert, i would imagine it would need to be crack tested which would be a cunt of a thing

Might be worth it to get some nice spring shock setup in the rear? I have access to a very good engineer so something like that wouldnt be a major. To get a cert you are meant to get a xray of the welds in the front shocks anyway arent you?

Yeah that makes sense. So if I got the BC Golds brand new and welded the sleeve onto the front then the rear would bolt in Im guessing and be all sorted. Ive just not had any experience with this rear sus setup but Im guessing they use this setup in AE86 drift cars etc? How adjustable are the rears in a set up like this? Pretty keen to go low as I can. Hoping to sit it just over the rim of the 14's or a nice flush look. As long as the rears will do that as well as the fronts and they ride nice then I could just go the normal route.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 960836.htm

And so the AE86 stub axels are different to mine? Be nice if they bolted in haha

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 878354.htm

Do BC Golds take inserts?

However if you mean you are going to weld a sleeve to the actual shock absorber you are crazier than crazy frog..

Was just going off what they are saying in the trade me add. "this kit requires the factory front shock tubes to be cut off 50mm up and the BC sleeves over the top and then requires the front BC coilover to be welded on"

Maybe the best question to ask is if I want to best suspension/coilovers without having to weld in new turrets in the rear what is my best option?? The BC Coilovers in the top trade me link?

Is yours a live axle or IRS? Ive got BC reds and i have mine sitting half way down the tyre with 15"s and i can still go maybe another 2"s lower if i wanted but then i would starting having way to many issues with ground clearance.

KK - With the BCs, you weld the threaded tube to the cut down strut and then just wind in the coilover like so

Pic_0001s1.jpg

Pic_0003s2.jpg

Pic_0007s4.jpg

Pic_0008s5.jpg

OH I see - disregard my comment - I thought you meant you were going to weld some sleeves to the BC shocks.

Yes cutting the original strut and stub down then fitting/welding a sleeve on makes more sense. Sorry my misunderstandering

edit - yeah I see now Ryan - Chur

Live axel

Very cool thats what Allan was showing me but I kept jumping from wanting to go lowering springs to coilovers, only because I couldnt be bothered mixing and matching and welding but I have now learnt thats what makes old school different and fun :)

So you recommend I buy those new coilovers from Redline and get it all welded to my fronts and the backs will bolt in.

Ive decided this sus is being done and then if there is coin left I will be turning my 14x6.5's into 14x9ish.

Lets get this this looking staunch and roaring. :badgrin: