touge's ae101 racecar - ‘fab it all from scratch’ project

Rhyscar

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you not offset and relocate the intake from one of the similar doo-dadery's

eg. one of these

..but cut and moved to the position you require, being only slightly offset from centre it might still appear stock to the untrained eye.

The problem is it will always look a bit naff. I want to stay away from bad bodykit mods as much as possible to keep flatpeakers at arms length.

To get the performance I want I need a decent airbox rather than feeding directly from a scoop as benefits are +1000.

I agree Markku that car is le' tits. Makes me want to put a big cam in it straight away. Ive got uprated valve Springs already. I'm very interested to see what marks aw11 2zz mods make on the dyno

• Like 2

The only way I see you getting the clearance required indicated by that picture is remounting the engine rotated further forward or going BTCC spec and flipping it around the other way so your intake points up and exhaust down, followed by finding a gearbox to suit the mew rotational funtimes.

Clearance isn't as bad as I was worrying about

DSC_0840.jpg

Starting to shape an airbox that will fit in the cutout below and the inlet for it will be on the passenger side. I'll still consider using a curved trumpet depends on how the airbox comes out. I'm still aware a curved trumpet may help airflow within the airbox considerably but will see if I can make these trumpets work first. 

I'll use a half sized civic radiator in the middle somewhere and oil cooler on the left. I'm keen to vent each one through the bonnet to make sure engine bay temps don't get too high. May need to make sure I create enough of a low pressure area for bonnet vent that cooling isn't hindered at high speed.. hmm

DSC_0841.jpg

Time to start a carbon fibre manufacturing facility in my shed I think. Should be interesting

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So these finally showed up. Pretty stoked to finally get them here. Big thanks to Phil/Fuel for shipping them direct to avoid paying a horrendous amount of GST through customs. GC

So these are 3 way adjustable (hi speed & Low Speed bump + rebound) and is a similar design to the Reiger suspension they use in WRC/proper tarmac rally cars but at a fraction of the cost (Reiger's will set you back $5k per corner). I didn't opt for the external canisters as they were a considerable amount more, and won't be needed for getting used to the car and short hillclimbs I'll take part in to start with. I'd consider upgrading to the external canisters when I committed to something like Targa as the additional heat capacity of the oil will come into use when doing longer stages. 

After driving the daily on a local hillclimb I really was decided I had to do proper shocks if I wanted the car to have the potential to push my driving and take bouncing off the road out of the head-equation when attacking a dubious corner - more for when the unexpected pops up than when its planned but it will make or break how hard I can drive this thing. Should be indestructable too so looking forward to doing some big jumps with these :) 

Still need to buy springs from summit racing and get some tophats laser cut to suit so when my bank account recovers a bit I'll get them in the car. 

14203234_10207100458101064_4517358640830

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Slowly getting these shocks installed. Been getting tophats laser cut, new wheel bearings in front and waiting for 2 of my wheels to come back from being used to test-fit on dads ae82. 

Top hats sorted. Thinking I may cut the strut tops with a slightly larger opening then tack in a lip to add strength removed when I cut it larger. Rear is a bigger problem than the front but have a solution for now (not entirely pretty though)

DSC_1087.jpg

Got 1x strut installed. Pretty happy with the lengths and heights etc. Guna be so slam. This is full droop.... 

DSC_1086.jpg

So here are a few details about the shocks that make them the tits and worth all the extra money over what I would call a 'street/track coilover' which are fairly light duty (high spring rates, no huge impacts). Some people perhaps have never seen this style of shock before or pulled one apart. 

Big strong clevis made for doing jumps and hitting big rocks (all their gravel rally shocks are built exactly the same). Also notice the spring perch not having the stupid double locking setup most coilovers have - it has a small grub screw which locks it once adjusted. 

DSC_1077.jpg

You'll notice the camber washers above. They have been supplied with 3 combinations of camber washers to adjust camber at the hub bolts. This is often done rather than at the top hat to help with guard/strut clearance along with having an adjustment which can't be moved (most rally cars don't have slotted top hats as they can move it you hit something big enough. 

DSC_1075.jpg

Shock is held in the strut by one big bolt at the bottom (also notice the adjuster inside the shock shaft)

DSC_1084.jpg

Pull this out and you can slide the shock out of the strut. Essentially the shock shaft you see on the outside is the body of the shock and the shaft is inside the strut body. The main advantage of this is that the body is much stronger when taking impacts - especially on macpherson strut setups where it is essentially transferring force through an 'L' between the hub and the spring/strut top. 

DSC_1078.jpg

The next main advantage is the strut body itself has two brass bushes which guide the shock body and essentially eliminate any load on the shock shaft. These are fully serviceable/removable/regreasible and are a pretty robust solution as its easy to replace the dirt wiper seal or bushes. 

DSC_1083.jpg

Looks like they have only been supplied with rebound adjustment which was a bit different to what I understood. Just means I need to spend another $3k for the external canisters at some point to get the full potential from them. Keen to get the car going like this though, will add external canisters when I eventually get around to doing an event like Targa etc. Good things take time!

Hoping to have it back on its wheels this week fingers crossed!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So god damn jealous of your white board.

Hah I had it sitting there for like the last year and didn't even think of using it!

I've got another sheet of the same stuff lying behind it currently. Can be anyone's who wants to come get it for a box of beers. 

Super cool Rhys! We'll have to get some cams sorted (+roller rockers...?) once you are all go! 

Just a thought - can you lengthen the intake manifold (go to a 2nd harmonic) and angle the throttles down so they miss the bonnet? Would be nice to have the space to play with intake tract length later on. 

Super cool Rhys! We'll have to get some cams sorted (+roller rockers...?) once you are all go! 

Just a thought - can you lengthen the intake manifold (go to a 2nd harmonic) and angle the throttles down so they miss the bonnet? Would be nice to have the space to play with intake tract length later on. 

Yeah that would be nice once its all running. Are you working on some cams for Mark's 2zz powered aw11 by any chance? Is it worth keeping the dual variable timing with a bigger cam or would you recommend ditching and running it oldschool on some cam gears?

Glen has got a set of his trumpets on the way over the me which should lengthen it a bit (140mm instead of the 70mm ones I had before). Will rely on a good airbox shape to get any intake gains. I'm going on a very good theory which Murray Coote from MCA mentioned in a video from time attack "its about being not wrong rather than 100% right" so won't be perfect, but won't be anything funky going on either. 

Outboard injectors will make up for a bit as well 

Nope never done any 2zz stuff which is why I'm quite keen for a look at them. Definitely worth keeping dual variable if you can. Just depends if the cam phasers can handle the extra valve spring load at rpm. 

I'm sure it will make plenty of beans, just a suggestion to help packaging if you wanted an option to not cut the bonnet. 

Those MCA golds are so great. I'm pretty noob with suspension stuff but it makes sense that hillclimb & tarmac rally cars need the best dampers. The damper has so much less travel to control a heavier spring than in a rally car. Will be interested to see how you get on with them as I'd love something similar for the 205gti build. 

Yeah even with the curved trumpet I'll still need to cut the Bonnet I'm 90% sure.

Hmm interesting. I put uprated valve Springs in it when I rebuilt with the aim of revving it out to 9500rpm if the standard cam would do it.

The reason I ask is currently I've got a g4 atom which essentially has cost me bugger all, but won't run the dual vvti. I need to spare around $2k to get the appropriate g4 to do so... So if I just put a big cam in and ditched the vvti it could work out considerably cheaper considering I've already done valves and valve Springs.. Would need to make sure I retain driveability between 4-9500rpm but I'm sure that's achievable.

Just a thought and not sure if it's worth pursuing. You think it's achievable?

Yeah shocks are where it's at for driving on the limit. So many times you'll see a bump unsettle a car just before it Spears off into the scenery which is what I'd like to avoid. Plus I like quite an aggressively setup car so having it settled when I chuck it into something a bit hairy will make it handle more consistently.

Certainly will work fine without the VVT, you will just have to live with the loss of midrange or top end though depending how you time it. Power out to 9500 might be a bit of stretch on the stock cam without VVT I'd think though.

Also no VVT makes grinding/setting up cams a bit of a PITA as you have to grind a timing split into the cam so each high/low profile has the correct valve timing. With the VVT active you just phase to where you want at the crossover.