touge's ae101 racecar - ‘fab it all from scratch’ project

Rhyscar

This is where reversion (has particles moving) is different to the sonic scavenging wave returning back into the intake chamber during valve overlap. 

There are gains in the 10-15% range to be had for doing it right from what I can see. 

In a motorbike situation you don’t need a reverse cone as it is open to atmosphere but in a car where you have an exhaust attached it reflects the high power part of the sonic wave back up the header system essentially isolating it from the following mufflers/exhaust. 

• Like 1

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I don't know. The scavenging isn't necessarily done by sonic waves.

As I understand it, when a the gas pressure runs down a the pipe and out the megaphone (diffusion cone) it creates an expansion wave and the gas behind it accelerates. This creates a vacuum that heads up the pipe (negative pressure wave). I starts from the small end of the diffusion cone and works its way back up towards the exhaust port. So the positive gas pressure wave effectively "falls away" as the gas in the diffusion cone expands, which creates a draw in the exhaust port. 

In two stroke tuning, the sonic wave(s) play a key part in creating resonance, but it only works because there is no exhaust valve in the way and you can get an almost direct connection between the inlet and exhaust sides of the engine. Sonic waves can build up into multiples which is what 2 stroke tuners are trying to achieve (true resonance). 

Here's quick video that might help: 

And a not-so-quick one that explains the sonic vs gas pressure waves and resonance in more detail: 

There's another video somewhere that has good high-speed photos of the gas pressure wave entering a chamber that makes it slightly easier to understand, but I'll have to search around again to find the video. 

4 stroke is the same where you want to have that negative pressure wave reach the valve For the small amount of time where they are both open to draw through more intake charge (scavenging)

The trick is to make sure the valve is closed before the vacuum sonic wave stops (length of expansion chamber determines your window) to prevent reversion pushing spent gases back into the chamber. 

I think we are both on the same wavelength... the 4-stroke application has a lot smaller rewards than 2 stroke but is still worth chasing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rhyscar said:

There is two types of reversion. Mass flow and acoustic.  Mass flow or gas flow will have a harder time flowing upstream than down stream, down the flow will be unaffected, up the flow will be impeded by vena contracta.  In a properly designed (not too large for application) exhaust system mass flow reversion should not be a problem.  Acoustic reversion is pressure waves traveling inside your exhaust.  That same low pressure waves used for scavenging are accompanied by positive pressure waves at other rpms.  So say you have an exhaust system tuned for 6000 rpm, well this exhaust system for example might have beneficial scavenging effect from properly timed low pressure waves at 3000, 6000, and 9000rpm and have positive pressure waves traveling back to the cylinder during overlap at 1500, 4500, 7500 and 10500   If the positive pressure waves are strong enough it will actually push mixture right back up the intake manifold through the open intake valve.  The sharp edges on the pipe protruding into the AR chamber are intended to attenuate these positive pressure waves.

Have you seen this? https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1075515-megabomb-header-explanation/ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Truenotch said:

From four stroke performance tuning

Regarding pulse tuning or acoustical tuning:

the exhaust gas is expelled from the cylinder at a velocity of between 200 and 300ft per second, but pulses or pressure waves are moving through that gas at around 1500 to 1700 ft per second.

by understanding the behaviour of these waves we can use them to improve cylinder scavenging and to increase cylinder filling with air/fuel mixture  

as the initial charge of burnt gas bursts from the cylinder into the exhaust system it creates a wave of positive pressure that travels the speed of sound through the gas to the end of the pipe. As it surges into the atmosphere, the positive wave dissipates and produces a negative pressure wave (suction wave), which returns along the exhaust pipe into the cylinder. It arrives with a certain amount of evacuation power because it’s pressure is much lower than than the cylinder pressure. The art of exhaust tuning is to determine the length and size of the exhaust pipe for this suction wave to arrive back at the cylinder during the valve overlap period.

So the sonic/acoustic pulses move independent of the mass flow of the exhaust and much faster.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhyscar said:

So the sonic/acoustic pulses move independent of the mass flow of the exhaust and much faster.  

Yep. And the speed of sound changes with temperature, so it's important to know the rough temperature of your pipes too. 

• Like 1

On 25/06/2019 at 04:05, Rhyscar said:

so I bought my old road car back as a rolling shell that I sold to @Robbo a few years ago. I know it’s a tidy shell and still certed etc. don’t know what I’m guna do with it yet but for now it will sit in a shed at the farm just need an engine so may slap it together for something like 24hrs of lemons or other endurance racing event/get it back on the road and do some doorts or just keep it for when I eventually write off this shell (it will probably happen one day) 

48325EE7-E558-4E4A-9863-DE8DAB400AA5.jpeg.b0f4058553327351ce4222a9d3e8e41f.jpeg28043AEA-4129-4622-8D80-CF1DF4AA57D6.jpeg.1ad434f66b67af3e8eb5f4628cad7226.jpeg

Had a real lol moment when the strop broke and it rolled off the back of the trailer in the middle of Rotorua! Haha 

it came with a fibreglass bumper the same as the one I have for the racecar, spare facelift side skirts and most importantly a bumper support so I can mount the racecar one without more fab work woohoo!

result is the front end is together for good now. Going to be challenging to drive anywhere on the road at this height (not a bad problem to have) 

Oh man, outrageous how full circle that's gone!

Cool to see you've got it back though. Last thing I saw of it was a pic of it on Facebook with a 2ZZ in it, any idea how it got into this state?

• Haha 1

Yeah the guy who had the 2zz in it stripped it and reshelled all the parts into a ae111 and then sold the shell. I almost bought it a 1-1.5yrs ago when it was sold that first time but we’d just bought a house and the timing wasn’t right. 

The guy I got it from just never got around to do anything with it. Came without wheels but with a few spare body parts. All the exhaust, swaybars etc are gone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it’s  interesting that you may never be able to tell what collector style it is from the outside or even looking down the end of the pipe. 

Need some bends in an assortment of sizes for the next step of header making.

Does anybody on here have a trade account with Autobend that I could use for a box of beersies? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So finally got off my ass and finished this expansion chamber and my exhaust. 

I ended up rolling the belly section and rear cone of the expansion chamber. Should have done this for the front half too it was tricky but turned out way nicer! 

84558C00-0665-4713-8D87-DB811812E9CD.jpeg.d984c25b8cf5a5771370de2231137705.jpeg

CF17E777-F9E3-47E8-B4C1-7F2859651699.jpeg.c8fa965fe91d85700e841b1cb03ce33c.jpeg

and gave it a polish up

09667C99-07C9-4D0F-85EB-FA7E6D96690E.jpeg.e6c67a50b8fd61ec2bacb21083ab9cea.jpeg

finished the tunnel end end of my exhaust off too. It’s a pretty tight gap to fit through hence the pie cuts and stupid amount of mounts

BF0F92E2-C956-442E-9355-E8EEC82F65BE.jpeg.49a8ba33829f66f928403ef4415f51de.jpeg

0A14F1CB-576F-47BB-A4D6-56CA012B608E.jpeg.d2dbfff5e1a1303227da6c5c22dfb667.jpeg

heres the whole system complete just waiting to build headers and order a Flexi and I’ll be able to install it for good  

C188F2A7-8449-41CF-B3B7-DC4729D4E0FB.jpeg.c501385ac6cba8bd253865eb95485f85.jpeg

EC8AA673-D89C-4F46-81A4-675E2F5501BD.jpeg.68a659a85d51abc956f08e32dc8edb79.jpeg

370EC0CB-A87A-42AB-8B0D-A69D5BE83CF0.jpeg.0c656d1d29cf5bdc75d82c9c151b36f7.jpeg

still trying to to find some 41mm od bends for the headers so might need to find something else to sort in the mean time! 

• Like 7

Still a bit of a work in progress we haven’t proven our theory fully but here’s what I’m basing it on;

scavenging can be done 2 ways. 

Mass flow/inertia - header lengths, pipe sizes and mass airflow velocities helping scavenge airflow out of other cylinders. The key to this is keeping velocities up and preventing reversion so the pressure differential always wants to empty the cylinder. 

Acoustic - expansion chamber is to reflect the sonic wave that is generated when the valve opens. The expanding of the wave into the chamber causes a reflected negative wave that if it is tuned to the right length can reach the valve on the next cycle of the cylinder. 

This is based on 2 stroke theory which is well proven. Every example I’ve seen of one being used the car has made a lot more power than expected so just trying to figure it out for myself.

@Roman has some fancy gadgetry to hopefully measure and prove all this at some stage. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Its been a few years since an update. Phew covid sucked. This will be mostly pictures so if you have any questions about stuff I have/haven't done ask away. 

If you want more updates check out instagram account https://www.instagram.com/garage_rfab/ 

Nick added to the rollcage. New harness bar and general improvements to increase the safety. New side intrusion, rear brace and strut tower connections

20220126_201940.jpg

20220126_201854.jpg

20220126_201919.jpg

• Like 1