adjustable fan switches and keeping my engine at right temp

yoeddynz

Like this....

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops ... ontrollers

I have used two in the past and they are great. This time round with my Viva I decided to solder a location in bottom of rad for a standard fan switch. Problem is that most available in m16 x 1.5 are top mounted with ranges like 90/86 or higher and fan will turn on too late for. I want to keep my 12A around 85 to 90 - no more. The old Mazda race manual says 70 - 90 is the best range. 90 is more fuel efficient and closer to 70 is better for power.

I spent last night trawling through the intermota fan switch pages and came up with 2 switches that may work;

part numbers 50420 (hyundi lantra), 50434 (mitsi colt and lancer 1.3). These are 85-80c with two wires. Zac- can you get these cheap? Or anyone else?

If they switch on at 85c reading from bottom of the rad then the engine may still be running hot because I don't know what the temp drop is from the top of rad/engine to the bottom. So engine may reach 95+ before fan switches on.

Any idea on what a typical radiator temp drop is?

I'm now thinking that instead of spending money on another switch I should just fit the adjustable type. But I sort of wanted to avoid them this time as I end up with an ugly box with a knob on it sitting near rad.

If I do go for adjustable can anyone on here get them cheap? I have found Supercheap list davis craig ones for $71 but I'd like cheaper... :)

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online- ... ab=reviews

Whats wrong with just using a thermostat?

or am I missing something.

My Fan is always on, I figure water aint going to flow till engine is hot enough to open thermostat anyhow.

edit: Basically like a mechanical fan (which is always on), except it is electronic

I'd be thinking the sensor should be located on the engine rather than the rad? would give a more true/meaningful reading.

I have seen some cars which are bloody hot at the top and can comfortably hold hand on at the bottom, you might find once the bottom is warm enough to switch the fan on it's a bit too late?

Nah I don't want the fan on all the time. Only when I stop etc. I have had fans on a switch under dash- you only need to forget and walk away once and......melt down.

Shgwag- 82 sounds good to me. Not too hot. Not to cold. In fact....just right :)

Mjstar - yeah most fan switches are up high. It seems only a few cars have em down low? Anyway I agree- it could be way too late by time fan switch reacts- unless its a much lower rated one. But I dont know what rating to fit without knowing how much my rad drops the temp. Unless I start mucking about with temp probes in top hose and bottom hose -and i only have one of them anyway.

I think I'll get a bloody adjustable one and then I can set it properly.

Anyone else know of a source for the adjustable ones- cheap- in NZ?

Last I recall the adjustable ones at Supercheap were $60. That was awhile ago. Was using them in both my Avengers and they were all good.

Otherwise, you can get thermostat switches from Jaycar for dunno how much even though I work there.

There's one in 80 deg, looks like this

productLarge_3959.jpg

$6.90?

Have one on my brothers avenger, cabletied to the bottom coolant hose (can't remember what temp it is though)

It seems to work not too badly. It'd be better contacting metal as opposed to a rubber hose though.

my van had one in the thermostat housing.

wires run down the face of the front cover and linked up with the main loom..didnt notice any wiring.

fans kicked in and cut out fine...not sure what the thermostatic switch was from though...

im not a fan of constant running fans..in winter it is a bad idea cos the water in the radiator doesnt get hot enough to open the thermostat,so once the engine water is hot it opens then it gets a hit of cold water and closes again,and continually does it..

also you have a higher chance of the coolant freezing, i know this from experience..my rotor van had a constant fan,and the radiator froze over while idling for a bit,then driving into ashburton in winter... cracked housings anyone?????

I've got just the standard Mitsi thermo switch retrofitted into the bottom of my radiator and the fan only turns on when the gauge is about 1/3-1/2 and shortly turns off again, it definitely doesn't come on or switch off too early or late. This is assuming you want your engine to run at the standard 85-90deg range.

I've got just the standard Mitsi thermo switch retrofitted into the bottom of my radiator and the fan only turns on when the gauge is about 1/3-1/2 and shortly turns off again, it definitely doesn't come on or switch off too early or late. This is assuming you want your engine to run at the standard 85-90deg range.

Yeah I found one mitsi switch listed that might do the job.

Yowser looks like he has come to the rescue with a cool Jaycar kit that includes a lcd readout :D Cool- along with the Innovate lambda gauge I want to get in future I could have a whole star trek panel thing going on under my dash! I'll have to set them all into a red vinyl panel of course 8)

I kinda get what you mean about constantly running fans, but a vast amount of cars have mechanical fans - which are always on.

Plus when you are driving, the fan is basically nothing compared to that anyway, so regardless your radiator temperature will get colder- thermostat open or not,

I guess what I was getting at was that it really doesnt matter (in my opinion) when your fan turns on, as long as it turns on before your engine overheats.

At the end of the day, it will be the thermostat which keeps your engine at the right temp, not a fancy switch setup :P

I kinda get what you mean about constantly running fans, but a vast amount of cars have mechanical fans - which are always on.

Not necessarily, most cars with mechanical fans run viscous couplings, so the fan can effectively freespin and doesn't really do much.

Although older cars did have solid mounted fans that did run all day long, they had flexie blades that flattened out at high speed and again didn't really do much.

Yeah the thing I'm trying to do is just keep it at a nice steady temp when its idling about town. Not go up and down like some old cars I"ve had. Plus once its set up I should be able to forget about it. Fan can click on and off happily. I wouldn't as anal about all this if it wasn't a rotary but it is and I wanna keep it nice, happy and in the zone.

My fan is off some V6 Audi from a scrap yard we visited just before leaving Blighty- it rocks compared to some 'good aftermarket' electric fans I have used in the past off ebay etc.

I got two of them. I'll see how one goes but may fit the other in later on.