Behold.....loooooongbike - and now shit gets fat

ThePog

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

copper bikes and blued bikes, inspirational!

You need to bring loooong bike to show the metal work students at my school

You can have it for a while if you like, doesnt get much use at the mo...

is that going to tarnish and turn green? cooool

yes, this is the effect I am looking for eventually

IMG_9872.jpg

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2011/03/beautiful_bicycle_liams_copper.php

Oh shit you come up with some lush ideas. How have you painted/coated that one?

Also top notch re leather - was that leather from a saddle already or just a piece that you moulded/stretched on there using the water to soften?

How do you go about stripping the frames - are you getting them dipped or blasted or just elbow grease/wire wheel?

Have you ever come across a really stubborn stem stuck in the forks inside the head stock? I have this on the mrs' empire, and twisting the bars only deforms the weld on the stem

It is electroplated, $120 - was a bargain really as they paint/rust stripped the whole thing as well and it was very very tatty. i would have spent many many hours and lost interest if I had done it myself. Plus I hate black shit falling out of your nose for a day afterwards.

The leather was from an old tripod stool that I cut to the same shape as the flattened out original, just ran it under the hot tap and held it in place while it cooled down, worked 100% more awesomely than I ever expected but I suspect I was lucky to choose some vegetable tanned leather, so win really.

The stem - sounds like you are fucked. I had a bike that took 4 hours with a hacksaw to cut a slot inside the seatpost along the length of the post. Heat might help, I trust you wound out the bolt then smacked it with a hammer to disengage the taper thingy from the stem...?

Ah so thats copper - I automatically assumed brass, $120 is sharp then. Is your frame steel or chromoly? I wonder if there is any reactivity that will speed up/aid the tarnishing process.

So true re black shit/have enough of that from cars.

I think I will get some of my frames dipped and have a go at painting them up myself - have heard mixed reviews on powdercoating.

Re stem, yep wound out bolt and dislodged the tapered bung thing, its the outter surface of the stem itself stuck to the inner surface of the forks. Haven't had a go with heat yet, will attempt to do so, or might chop the head of the stem off, and pull them through and try make something up to press the stem out from the hole between the forks.

I have a healing shogun I want to give to do similar to your copper bike - haven't decided on a colour, but essentially was going to leave it more or less a trimmed down road bike but use a sturmey/shimano hub box, rather than the 10 speed gear/I don't have nice campag derailleurs like you.

Ah so thats copper - I automatically assumed brass, $120 is sharp then. Is your frame steel or chromoly? I wonder if there is any reactivity that will speed up/aid the tarnishing process.

So true re black shit/have enough of that from cars.

I think I will get some of my frames dipped and have a go at painting them up myself - have heard mixed reviews on powdercoating.

Re stem, yep wound out bolt and dislodged the tapered bung thing, its the outter surface of the stem itself stuck to the inner surface of the forks. Haven't had a go with heat yet, will attempt to do so, or might chop the head of the stem off, and pull them through and try make something up to press the stem out from the hole between the forks.

I have a healing shogun I want to give to do similar to your copper bike - haven't decided on a colour, but essentially was going to leave it more or less a trimmed down road bike but use a sturmey/shimano hub box, rather than the 10 speed gear/I don't have nice campag derailleurs like you.

It is reynolds 531, but I suspect that my plan to wipe it up my arse crack after every solid ride I do will have more reactionary effect than any chrome content....

I am not a fan of derailleurs much myself, my commuter has an alfine 8 speed hub which is sweet, but I now do quite a lot of riding and this is the easiest way to get more gears for big rides and hills etc. Was a bonus that the bits on it are all sweet old campy tho 8)

Here is [sort of] a pic of the bike I built for my wife, I got that sandblasted and powdercoated, it came up mint. It has a Sram 5 speed internal hub... she loves it.

001-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went for a jaunt to Brighton on the now finished copperbike, looks so sweet now I have treated it to a copper riveted/plated Brooks saddle;

Copperbike2.jpg

Copperbike1.jpg

Exactly 40kms for the round trip, felt like I could go for much much longer/nothing broke.

Now looking at changing zinc bike into a proper tourer/commuter, probably transferring all the bits into a Surly Crosscheck frame;

http://www.velo-ideale.com/product.php?pid=311

301.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
oh also forgot to say - copper bike looks amazing, seriously need to hiff the seat-bag, pump and water bottle over the fence and replace with leather/tin/copper/OG equivalents

I know, I just didn't want to ride to brighton without that shit... I will get onto it immediately unless something ONE BRAZILLION TIMES more exciting turns up.