LSD Upgrade to AW11

legoman

Hey guys

An opportunity to install an limited slip diff has presented itself and need to know what the options are/costs likely to be.

Going into 85 AW with silvertop conversion. Has C52 gearbox having full bearing and synchro replacement this week. Will be used predominantly as track car.

I understand that there are different types of LSD but know nout regarding the benefits/disadvantages associated therewith.

Any advice you guys can offer would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get a plate lsd and be done with it and get it set for 1.5 way it will be a bit more predictable than being 2 way . for serious track work that's the only thing id use . the standard viscous lsd in toyotas are ok (i have one in my supercharged trueno) but not as responsive as a plate type

So the previous diagnosis was correct, bearings and synchro are toast but now I'm told that there is a bigger problem in that the Pinion shaft is munted.

Pinion shafts are apparently a million dollars so might need a new box altogether, Doh!

Does anyone have a pinion shaft? :?

you'l wanna get the crown wheel also, if you get a shaft. as running gears against each other with different amounts of wear, will be weaker. better off to buy another box, as above. they are cheap. when i was going thru a few c5* boxes i was just buying 4age boxes and swapping the internals into my case (starlet). mr2 boxes are slightly different to fwd ones arent they? so you could just do the same. syncos in them are pretty rubbish if you start abusing them, i found the later c56's a bit better, but still 2nd gear syncro was the first to give problems.

Hmmm,

Yes indeed, I know a guy with a box however cbf taking it out of his car for him.......... I've already done that once this week!

I will investigate replacement parts before committing to a new box as I know another guy whom just happens to be a parts guy. Should probably ask him bout the lsd too.

Also, it was 2nd synchro that was toasted.

Thanks for your help thus far :D

mates spare box as only has 120k on it and start from scratch.

Do that.

I gave away a C52 to thegreatestben.

The one in my car crunches all synchros, has pwnt reverse and chronic 5th gear pop out.

I'm going to fix it with E series LSD behind 3sgte.

Also look into a torsen LSD, they were factory in some later C boxes?

If the car is for the track 99% of the time a torsen will be quicker and nicer to drive, but no good for D1's. the clutch type feels 'better' as they have a more positive engagement and offers more fun