The offroad thread!

DodgySam

Yeah it was a bit of a piece though. I'm bad at projects.

Just about the most recent picture of my new one is when I got it.

Need to film running things over.

has poorly painted rims now, and half worn Kuhmo's instead of bald other things. 

I mostly just run over bits of carparks and try D1 in the wet.

P1050257.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nooo cam do sweet shit dont bother with springs. This is my good mates 2A, has a 202 and hilux axles. At this stage it had a 3 link front with 12" fox airshocks, pretty easy to do and it flexed like a boss, those airshocks are cheap too. i loved this thing, had fiddle brakes in the rear, went many places. Has been stripped and sold off now :-(, had patrol axles and a 1UZ sitting in it before it got stripped. I wanna buy a shit V8 disco one day, shorten it and put a series body on it, much awesomeness 

P1060688.jpg

308401_1546925610865_1766814824_788481_1

P1060659.jpg

• Like 2

shit I was tempted to hit that thing when he started to sell it off. so dope. 

disco chassis is 100" or soemthing eh = apparently ideal? 

keen. 

mine's too shit to spend proper wedge on. just a river/beach hack for sure. I will definitely have a decent LR soonish though

there's a rr classic across the road from me. should go pilfer the chassis. 

yea well the classic is identical to the disco so it would make idealness. Next offroad toy is gunna be something i can race, in class 2 no doubt. no idea what yet, thinking a 3500 swb pajero or a 2 door classic rangie, that would be so sick for taupo 1000

• Like 2

Righty Oh.

Here's a few photo's and some of my thoughts about the various trucks. But pretty much Class 2 is a cool class, Very controlled rules, read the rule book up on www.oranz.co.nz 

Anything cheap and tough would be what id go for. Pajeros, Terranos, Hiluxs,Cherokees and recently an Izusu have been the quicker trucks. There have also been landrover Discovery v8's, etc A Subaru Brumby ran down in the South Island for a while. It came last lots.

There is also a fast Dodge Ram thats is super fast, but it breaks all the god damn time. He will blitz the field in the first race, then in the 2nd race it will break the front diff or the steering.

g5jlcmjj.zs5.jpg

ux53abfm.n33.jpg

v5qusnjd.pfz.jpg

V6's Terannos are quick but suffer from weak steering.They end up having crazy wheel alignment issues when things start to get a bit flogged out

mmg1uxl1.f4y.jpg

j0ypberd.dvd.jpg

dv4so1hh.gw0.jpg

Cherokees are fast, and there was a lot of them running in C2 at one stage, but they seem to have fallen out of favour. The Solid front axle trucks don't seem handle as well as the other trucks with IFS and they tend to bend diffs.

morlmjh4.sul.jpg

wb23p4gr.5zg.jpg

Hilux/surfs have strong front ends and chassis but the shit 3L v6's fuck out and like to litter the forests with engine internals.They also cost mega bucks to buy thanks to all the toyota tax.

fwlonjvl.5h4.jpg

xj3rbkbu.1nt.jpg

n5i0gq5v.j5x.jpg

1tjt2jo2.nug.jpg

The Pajeros seem to be much the same as the hilux/surfs good suspension, but let down a bit by the engines. the fast ones are really quick but the guys have spent heaps developing the motors. But thats probably much the same as any normal road one, anything not GDi would probably be fine.

zfvumsrx.vml.jpg

ixjbvitn.r0o.jpg

The Izusu Bighorn RS 3.2v6 is a bit of a weapon, Front suspension seems to be really strong. (This is the same truck thats now yellow on TM)

nk4zmdmm.kzj.jpg

wfh4owhn.djw.jpg

q0cb0dfd.1cs.jpg

There are a few Suzuki vitaras/escudos raced, seem a bit under-powered and the suspension sucks. A few guys have built quick ones in the South Island though.

But really it all comes down to how you drive the things, so many guys get carried away thinking they are driving trophy trucks and smash them to pieces, At Woodhill 100 a few years ago C2 was won by a almost stock SWB 70 series landcruiser because everyone else broke.

This one.

v1o2qaxh.glp.jpg

t4zr5t2q.vqy.jpg

teke315z.5la.jpg

This was Fairly LOL, went surprising well considering it was 100% stock (just a side exit exhaust and a podfilter)  and was beating a lot of other 'Real 4x4's' ended up breaking one of the front struts on the 2nd day of the Taupo 1000.

And some others.

txd3if3x.qv3.jpg

e3zzujcn.hzd.jpg

hkwyufae.tur.jpg

npsacdyq.yuf.jpg

bewmlgkm.dim.jpg

jpzmlzxx.cp2.jpg

If i had enough spare coin to build one i recon a chevy blazer 4.3L v6 would be a bit of a weapon, But you could have just as much fun in a $500 Lada Niva with a cage.

I can't stress just how awesome offroad racing is, so many entry level ways to get into the sport whether it be trucks or buggys

But yeah that's enough typing. 

• Like 3

Cheers for all the advice glen, think i need to have beers with someone in C2 and get more inside deets. Im def loving the gen 2 pajeros like 216, who owns that now? is it the same guy that brought it at the scrappys and repainted it etc and repowered with the 3500. They seem like the best budget option as parts are at every butcher shop, much the same weight and horsepower as the bighorn. The Isuzu is cool but there aint many petrol ones around so spares would be a bit more scarce. Although that yellow one on trademe is pretty cheap considering it comes with a trailer, especially if ya got it for 7k. I love the haybros hilux, shes pretty modified tho and those 5VZ-FE are a bit scarce now too, and standard they are actually down on power compared to pajero 3500. The 5VZ is from a later model hilux so are they allowed to run later model engines etc?

Also when you say the fast pajeros have had heaps spent on developing engines how can they as the rules are so restrictive. Father in law has a couple of rally cars and also builds and develops rally cars and had a look over the rules with me, hed be keen to help when time comes for me to get into it. There is big potential for power out of the 3500 mitsi v6 as the run lame as cams and tune but you cant touch ports, cams, crank or flywheel. He said all he would be able to do whilst sticking to the rules is a polish, balance, extractors and exhaust, lighter stainless slotted valves, advance the timing and or run a link or something with a better tune but not much to gain with basic as internals. Also can coilovers be run in class 2 if the truck is coils factory, do they just have to mount onto original points or something. Man im keen to get into this.

• Like 1

nah cant swap diffs, power plant etc. Has to be from that model vehicle but can be from later model editions of the same vehicle. Has to run original axles etc. You cant run aftermarket suspension parts (radius arms etc) but can strengthen the original with added material. So yea would be running original gear which Cherokees tend to bend and break

Nah jeepspeed would be C4 with the aftermarket control arms and diffs.

if you ran the stock control arms and diffs you would be fine for C2 i think.

Also when you say the fast pajeros have had heaps spent on developing engines how can they as the rules are so restrictive. Father in law has a couple of rally cars and also builds and develops rally cars and had a look over the rules with me, hed be keen to help when time comes for me to get into it. There is big potential for power out of the 3500 mitsi v6 as the run lame as cams and tune but you cant touch ports, cams, crank or flywheel. He said all he would be able to do whilst sticking to the rules is a polish, balance, extractors and exhaust, lighter stainless slotted valves, advance the timing and or run a link or something with a better tune but not much to gain with basic as internals. Also can coilovers be run in class 2 if the truck is coils factory, do they just have to mount onto original points or something. Man im keen to get into this.

By heaps i mean they have spent more than zero developing them, most trucks have stock motors.

the pink and white pajero one had link computer, extractors etc and tuned for max HP it could get from the stock everything else.

You have to have one shock in the original location but you are allowed to run additional shocks. most popular is to run another shock off the top control arm. This is the most extreme example I have a pic of. (your also allowed to run fibreglass guards/bonnet providing they are the same as the OEM ones.

pal5pblt.l11.jpg

Go and save a copy of this and give it a good read.

http://oranz.co.nz/2013-oranz-rulebook/

Join the Following groups on FB heaps of info and people you can ask questions. (C2 and race truck groups) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/237612456313279/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105004992890355/