DJZ's 280ZX of Zilla-ness

OSM Garage

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I thought about it. I'll try and find some mounts that are a bit lower and then see how it looks, it'll probably look worse. The motor might not be sitting quite straight 'cause it's got no gearbox on it and the turbo is loose on the manifold because the holes in the manifold are over 12mm and the holes/bolts in the turbo are 10s, it should be pretty close to where it's supposed to be.

I cut a small part of the lip off, the lip is still longer than the factory S13 ones. If I have to cut it down any more I'll probably weld a piece of flat bar on the bottom for reinforcement.

• 4 weeks later...

Re - helicoils - they come in all sizes but if the hole is so big that no suitable helicoil is going to fit - then look into key-serts.

For an M8 thread you would need about a 12mm hole from memory..

Will try find some info on the webs..

edit - http://mdmetric.com/pdf/keysert.pdf - tldr? - for an M8 thread you need the right size keysert, a 10.8mm drill bit/hole and an M12 x 1.25 tap

Yeah, the ones I was looking at are something like this:

Self-Locking-Thread-Insert-4ZY16_AS01.JPG

The holes are the moment are just over 12mm and I need a 10mm thread in there, looks like they do make an oversize 10mm helicoil that needs a 12.5mm hole so I might try and get some of them, they also make a 10x1.25 one that uses a 12mm hole, so that might work.

Yeah those ones are good, however the advantage with keyserts is that you have 4 tags that stick up - once you have the keysert in place you whack those 4 tags down and it locks it in place.

I would be mildly worried in a turbo situation (ie 'kin hot) then a non locking insert may come loose depending on the differing rates of expansion of the 2 materials.

• 5 weeks later...
Tomorrow I need to try and track down a brake liner joiner

Find a Subaru at pick a part for a cheap one.

Leones have at least 2 around the master cylinder and I am pretty sure Legacys etc do too, google is being shit for me but this is them on an 04 wrx

impp_0810_17_z+2004_subaru_wrx+brake_line.jpg