Braze welding, good for car repairs?

Rusted

Looking at lead sled ute. Through gold braze welds would look epic when replacing the current bog repairs. All cool?

Cu-Zn (brass): General purpose, used for joining steel and cast iron. Corrosion resistance usually inadequate for copper, silicon bronze, copper-nickel, and stainless steel. Reasonably ductile. High vapor pressure due to volatile zinc, unsuitable for furnace brazing. Copper-rich alloys prone to stress cracking by ammonia.

Warping and distorting are good things for this project. Whats the deal with bottles for oxy cet? Still gotta rent of Bunch Of Cunts (BOC) or likes? Or, LPG welding suitably?

Also more info on lead work. I have a series of big ugly brass lead working things and a bucket of lead.

Lead filling is a little bit different to just getting some old wheel weights and melting them into the hole - I believe its a special compound of lead

Note - it is extremely toxic to do - as in its not surprising that you don't find that many panelbeaters in their 80's..

When I have a little more time this avo I'll dig up some sweet info for you.. see if it is your thing.

But it involves heating lead to about as thick as a moist cake mixture then using a wax covered paddle you push it around the steel and into the holes etc - all while keeping the lead malleable with heat. Then once it is aprox the shape and places you want you let it cool and then file it with a variety of files to the final shape.

Essentially its just like soldering on a large scale - it behaves like bog but is less compliant and you use files to shape it rather than sandpaper..

PS: in answer to your question - brazing is OK for filling instead of bog if you use an appropriate heatsink paste to prevent acres of warpage but it has no structural integrity so its a no no for important structural members like pillars and around door handles/hinges..

with bike frames the old school fillet brazed frames are immensely strong- in fact the joins wont break- the tubes will. I would have thought it would be strong enough for pillars etc but yeah the testers dont like it- here or in blighty. But would they know anyway once its covered in paint.

Bronze is expensive though. I'm sure my rx3 had brazed together sections- near the windows?

with bike frames the old school fillet brazed frames are immensely strong- in fact the joins wont break- the tubes will. I would have thought it would be strong enough for pillars etc but yeah the testers dont like it- here or in blighty. But would they know anyway once its covered in paint.

Bronze is expensive though. I'm sure my rx3 had brazed together sections- near the windows?

Braze welding is only structural if your fusing the base metal together, all the older cars that iv'e uncovered braze joins on have had underlying spot welds, and the braze was just to fill a seam and negate the need for seam sealer.