Stylez's Marina Porject

stylez

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the internet.

Choice grille and baddass colour. Got a side profile pic? Wheels look like they could be quite cool

Thanks,

Another auction picture, sorry I haven't had time to take my own yet, unfortunately for some reason it didn't come with the grille pictured, think it may have come off a KE or something though so I'll be able to get a hold of another.

152303438_full.jpg

Thanks mate.

I'm beginning to wonder if a triumph motor wouldn't fit, perhaps a 2.5L Triumph TC engine would bolt in quite nicely. Would be a killer 2.5L. Though apparently the diffs are not all that durable so not sure that'd be the right idea. It's pretty perky with a 1725 in it anyway so it can stay put until it blows up.

The Marinas came out with a 6 cylinder engine option, which apparently turned them from underpowered pigs into understeering pigs. But I don't know whether it was a Triumph engine, whether it'd bolt up to your gearbox etc.

Do you have twin carbs on your engine? That was another Marina performance option. ;)

It would be appreciated if you could rename your project thread according to the convention in the forum rules - e.g. Stylez's 19xx Morris Marina GTR instead of 'New around here, here's my project.' ;p

Do you have twin carbs on your engine? That was another Marina performance option. ;)

You may have been the first person to put the words marina and performance together, without the addition of words like "poor, terrible, etc" :lol:

But actually I haven't even looked, it's been sitting in my garage since i got it a few days ago and i've been so busy at work I haven't even driven it past the end of the road yet, and that was the test drive lol. Ah well, I have sunday off so I'll have a good look around the old girl then and get some specs.

loving the wheels

Thanks, they are pretty decent wheels. I'm wondering if anybody could identify them for me... can't see any markings on them .

As for the engine swap, I'm not really too fussed about it being quick-ish. More about looks I think, I doubt the marina will ever be a performance car. Would be hella fun to be able to smoke civics at the lights though...

You may have been the first person to put the words marina and performance together, without the addition of words like "poor, terrible, etc" :lol:

I used a winky face instead, just like how these people put 'sporting' in quotes! :lol:

"As part of the Marina range a twin carb (TC) version was offered alongside the standard cars. These Marinas were available in either four door Saloon or more "sporting" two door Coupe form. The 1.8 B-series engine was really a MGB unit and offered a good 100mph performance, although this was marred by the cars alarming tendency to oversteer when cornering fast."

Capacity: 1798cc

Config: S4 OHV

Model: BMC B-Series

Bore/Stroke: 80.26mm x 89mm

Top Speed: 94 mph

0-60: 13 s

MPG: 26 mpg

Engine Pwr: 85 bhp @ 5500rpm

Comment: 1.8 Special

std_1971_Morris_Marina_Coupe.jpg

I wouldn't dother with the twins, although I suspect a later model HIF44 from a rover v8 would bolt on (if there is sufficient clearance to the exhaust manifld) this would be slightly less nasty than the HS6.

I hate to say it but i had one of these as my 1st car back in the early/mid 90's. It was, ahem... ok for tail out action on gravel if you really pushed it..

Other than that is was pretty horrible..

"As part of the Marina range a twin carb (TC) version was offered alongside the standard cars. These Marinas were available in either four door Saloon or more "sporting" two door Coupe form. The 1.8 B-series engine was really a MGB unit and offered a good 100mph performance, although this was marred by the cars alarming tendency to oversteer when cornering fast.

Being a Leyland, a 77 and having a 5 speed box I am going to guess its got a E series OHC boat anchor rather than the 1800 B or 1700 O engine.

800px-British_Leyland_E-Series_engine_1748cc_Maxi_1980.jpg

*obviously thats not in a Marina*

I'm also kinda embarrassed to admit it but I have had several Marinas over the years :oops:

All 1800 B powered ones though lol

I'm clueless as to what the engine is, was told it had an 1800 put into it but I'm unsure. It's def not the original engine though. Now it looks like It's a 1300 because...

I just had a look at the closed auction, and somebody had posted a question which went unanswered...

Your car has had an identity swap. According to http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?p

late=ij9191, it's a 1977 1300 that's been round the clock at least once. But the body is from a 1974 262 6-cylinder - iirc the Amberley dude you bought it off had the crook original engine. But if it's got a rego and wof, good on ya! :-)

So apparently she's a 74, I had wondered by the badge i found in the glovebox that said 262-six, not sure if this makes much of a difference, but since it's been converted from manual as the original six cylinders only came in automatic as I recall. I wonder if I could find a six cylinder and if the manual box would bolt up...

That is the B series engine, 1800cc's of BMC fury

Superb, thank you muchly! :bounce:

Maybe I shan't bother with the 6Cyl in that case, might see if I can get some extractors made up for it.

I'm having difficulty with idling now, the idle is set very high (at least it sounds that way) but if left to idle for more than say 20-30secs it just fades out. I'm wondering if this could be a problem with the fuel pump and/or fuel lines... as it does make a spluttering noise while accelerating most of the time..

Also for the starter motor I was told a M35 Starter motor is what I need, same as that from a mini... though I was asked by the wreckers if it was a straight starter of if it had a solenoid on it.. I have no idea. :oops: Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help so far guys!

I'm having difficulty with idling now, the idle is set very high (at least it sounds that way) but if left to idle for more than say 20-30secs it just fades out. I'm wondering if this could be a problem with the fuel pump and/or fuel lines...

Nope, don't think it'll be that (depending on what you mean by 'fades out')..

If the idle's too high then the engine is probably getting more air (and fuel) than it should. Perhaps the throttle's not closing fully because it's out of adjustment or dirty or the closing spring is weak. Or there could be an air leak (air being sucked in through gaps which shouldn't exist) somewhere after the throttle.

..as it does make a spluttering noise while accelerating most of the time..

There are multiple possible causes for this too, many of which are cheap and simple to fix. Warm it up and take it for a thrash, and if it doesn't come right, best take it for a tuneup to a mechanic with experience in old engines.

..I was asked by the wreckers if it was a straight starter of if it had a solenoid on it.. I have no idea. :oops: Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

I found this photo of a BMC B-series engine which suggests the starter motor (the horizontal black cylinder toward the bottom left) does not have a solenoid on it.

http://www.malaysiaminilover.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/minicooper_enginecode2.jpg

Thats the same engine as MGB which are all factory twin carb so you could grab a pair of those quite easily and also a aset of MGB extractors will most likely fit with little or no modification..

There are a few rather staunch MGB motors out there but a greater number of shitter slugs.. see if you can pick one up and make sure you drive it first.. they are epically different between a good and bad ones..