Pinto wont run right??

DavidTheCreator

It could be many things. Condensor, bad wiring of the ballast resistor, broken pigtail wire, worn dizzy cap, no fuel...... etc.

Have you still got spark? Take the spark plugs out and check.

Did you take the dizzy cap off and look at the position of the rotor when you had the crank at #1 TDC?

We are trying to help so sorry if these questions sound base.

yes have spark and fuel, took the cap off when it was on TDP and cap was point at #1

i think it is the factory cam and dizzy, will check on the weekend, teh condensor wouldnt stop it from running would it? its only there to reduce the spark at the contact points as they open in the distributor, minimizing burning and pitting of the points, and the points are ok.

wiring to balaster resistor looks ok but might replace it anyway

will check the pigtail wiring on the weekend

thanks for all the help

there must be something

Also might be worth checking the the gear on the crank hasnt shitted off its keyway or anything.

maybe try putting a screw driver down the sparkplug hole on No.1 and turn engine till its at TDC (when the screw driver is at its maxiumlift out of the hole.)

then check the crank sprocket and probabaly the cam and Dissy sprockets to make sure the marks all line up correct off that.

have seen an issue before on a holden where the harmonic balancer on the bottom pully had slowly moved over time, giving a false timing mark.

These crazy cars and there crazy ways

Also yes condensors can break down / earth through them selves and do all sorts of odd things

however if you have spark at the plug, its most likely not that, but it could be worth the small coin to replace just for piece of mind.

Blown Head Gasket.

The blow back is the ignition from the adjacent cylinder when the gasket is blown between the chambers. Have you checked compression yet?

I had this on my capri once and it took far to long for me to diagnose - felt like a knob once i'd realised. I went down the same path as you've been lead on, ignition timings etc

• 1 month later...

Check the distributor cap is the correct one. They come in different offsets, I wrote a big reply before but it got erased so if you have changed the cap check the locating lugs inrelation to the turrets for the leads. It is a common issue with some old stock sometimes.