Coolant not getting hot enough, excessive fuel usage?

efp0wa

Hey guys,

When I first got the van running I had ran out of money so i used CAT ELC for coolant. Motor doesnt get hot enough now (can stick finger in coolant after an hours driving withut burns), thermostat is functioning well and cooling system is in good condition.

Maybe the CAT ELC is doing a too good of a job.

Fuel consumption is a bit too high aswell, could this be due to coolant not getting hot enough and thermostat not opening due to motor not heating up enough?

thermostat is functioning

... and thermostat not opening?

You just said the thermostat is functioning well. Have you actually tested it?

If it's jammed open the ecu will enrichen it / choke will never come off because the motor will never heat up.

is it it the right temp thermostat?

you can get from 160 - 200 degree farenheit thermostats that all look exactly the same..

I can assure you its not because you have some antifreeze in it that the engine is running cool.

If the thermostat is functioning correctly it WILL not open until the liquid surrounding the thermostat gets up to the right tempreture - whether its plain water, water with antifreeeze, water with milk in it or oil in your cooling system..

I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel consuption is the cause of the running too cold problem.

A simple change in carb main jets on the Cortina engine would change the operating temprature by 10-15 degrees F.

Also: plain water cools better than water plus 'antifreeze"

Also: plain water cools better than water plus 'antifreeze"

Hmmm

Was going to pull you up on that one but you are correct as far as heat transfer goes.

Don't run a car with 100% water though. Antifreeze is also an Antiboil + corrosion inhibitor.

often they work, but seem to open at random. I've had a few do this too. I don't bother testing now. if I bother to remove the thermostat, it's only destination is the bin, sadly.

my pajero had the same deal recently. never got past quarter on the gauge. they're meant to run about half way up. thermostat was opening way too early, although marked as the same temp as the replacement.

picked up beter economy as a result

boiling with a thermometer will tell you what temp and either way you know that as long as it opens before it boils its <100degrees.

If it already has a basically brand new thermostat then it would be a pointless purchase.

Phil, engines run hotter the more you retard them.

Engines run hotter the more you retard them

Yeah, good point, if it was running to hot. It runs cold though. You can't keep your pot of water at the same temp for long enough to know the point it opens. They always open just as the water boils. Its a good test if the engine is overheating to see if it opens at all. It sounds like a thermostat problem, Is the thermostat not sitting squarely in the housing, is it the wrong one?