Alex's (Yoeddynz's 1987 Toymotor Hiace 4wd )

CUL8R

love the fire place!

We had been advised by a

'real' (does it for a living)

mechanic friend that they will

come out through the door

Lol I am guessing he didn't tell you which door, the way to do it is to take the passengers door off and take the engine out through there.

yeah we are on 15's chris. Once we realised we'd keep this one we hunted around for other tyre bargains and found some new ones really cheap we just couldn't pass by. Must pop round yours next time and get the alignment sorted so we dont wear these ones out!

Yep- we would have gone through passenger door but boom not long enough on hoist. But really happy now that i have my patented 'removable engine access system' perfected..

Any ideas on how heavy these engines are?

Bloody hell that would be a fucking mission to remove all that lot- There is a heck of a lot of extra shit on these 4wd ones- and most underside bolts are rusted or bashed. Nup- quite happy the way we did it :D

The belts, pump etc were all done in the recon and its barely run in.. 8) . Not gonna touch it as it seems all good. I think the sump has a small leak but I have a plan anyway to reposition the drain away from its stupid rock attracting bottom position.

I'm after some round headlights and surrounds if anyone can help.

• 8 months later...

if you open the tap they do self bleed over time

what we have done in the past is pull the hose off the engine open the tap and draw the water in using a camping pump then once it seemed pritty good crimped pipe and joined it back up also tried puting garden hose on and push the water through but that time was to also see if it would leak but seemed to get air out.

Ha, just came across your van thread.

I admire your persistence!

Custom housetruck: lots of work = awesome

Rotary Viva: lots of work = awesome

Diesel van: lots of work = still a diesel van (but a reliable and warm diesel van)

I'll shout you a ferry ticket if you want to come and do one in the other half's Corolla? Into the second winter of no heater - it is a serious visibility, safety and comfort issue!

They are just such a crap job to change - you would think engineers would be more practical and say, "hmmmm one day that will fail so lets make it easy to remove and replace" - but alas no.

Cheers man! We love this old van - it does us well so deserves attention.

And Geoff- I'll pass on your generous offer.... :D

We are now down in Quakecity and I must say the trip down via lewis pass with some pretty cold weather was made soooooo much better now we have a heater! I managed to get a second hand heater fan speed resistor for $10 and now we have 4 speeds not just one.

And this morning is a chilly start in the city so happy having a heater!

• 2 months later...