Seam welding - Strut towers & engine bay. Worth it?

Simon

I'm paranoid that my Corona is going to crack the front off with the extra weight, 550lb front springs and very low with rubber band tyres. Wouldn't be doing it for performance but to stop it cracking.

Should I do some minor seam welding when I take the motor out?

I doubt I will have room for a strut brace under the bonnet.

I guess though usually they don't crack round seams.

Could this even make it worse because there is no flex?

DSCN0839.jpg

CIMG3566.jpg

Not like it's hard.

Cheers

just make sure you carefully stitch it like that and dont put too much heat in one place at a time to avoid warpage. maybe also consider if its owrth gussetting anywhere that you think its likely to crack. triangle braces in the corners of the engine bay can help also if you cant fit a brace between the towers - not as good but better than nothing.

Yeah. I think I got an alloy one of those of my old Celica that went to fire wall.

Think I may have folded it in half though.

I just want to know if seam welding it will help for cracks in other places or if it will make it worse because there is less give.

reshosted.

do you know of your model corona cracking in any particular places generally?

I don't think it would make it worse stich welding the seams like that (I have on my 131) any movement in those areas and the thing has failed. just maybe do where the inner guard meets the firewall also.

Hmm I hardly know of any of my model Corona let alone how they handle bump stops.

Can't really go to the front like that Fiat because that front panel of Jap cars is so flimsy.

What about just this and some seam stitching?

xghhggf1.jpg

I can't find much info on people cracking strut towers but I know it happens in real slammed cars and fcuks shit up.

Maybe I won't worry about it and see what happens.