estate_'s Vauxhall Viva Estate

coldturkey

holy shit, I'm gutted I didn't go to Autolign to find shocks for the front, instead P&H told me the shortest shocks I could get were for a Morgan of some kind, and were going to cost about $250 each + $60 per side to get modified for the correct ends. Wonder how the Volvo truck cab shocks hold up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yeah man, they were only $80 each or something, although the dude at autolign gave me good hookups.

The cab shocks seem to be pretty sweet. It was a bit of an unknown but they are definitely firm enough. I had to remove the viva bumpstops completely though so it has enough travel, cause its pretty slammed.

Keep a look out for some victor steels. Thats what mine were before they were widened. Or ask Vivaspeed (geoff) on here as he still has some nice oldschool 13" alloys kicking about I think.

My Viva is looking seriously sky high now compared to yours.

• 1 year later...

Hey good work on putting an 1800 in it, apart from the plethora of oil leaks you will experience they're not a bad motor.  Way more torque and will make the car a bit more fun to drive.  Easy step to a Bedford 2.3 after that...

I'd be keen to grab the old 1256 off you if you haven't got plans for it? (assume it's a 1256 not an 1159?)

yeah it was a 1256. Aww makes me sad that engine has been retired :(

Think it only went around the clock 3 times, still a youngin ^_^

During my ownership of it the only things I didnt replace on it were rings and bearings pretty much. Such fun times.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah shit thought I'd replied to this but somehow got lost in the process

Yeah pretty stoked with how its coming along, still love the lines on it and those massive rear side windows. I had bought a spare 1256 off Tony Lynch which I had plans to recondition as funds allowed and get the engine bay looking slick and original, however I have a mate who is putting a 4AGE in his viva so passed on the 1800 and box for cheap so figured it would be the better option to chuck that in. Box is a 4 speed manual as well. Of course being an old Vauxhall engine the only thing the old owner warned us about was it leaks oil like a sieve from a few of the top end gaskets, so we've chucked new gaskets in the top end so that should make it marginally better

Hahaha many umms and arrs were had over the whole tollroad thing, whenever we tried to pay it would tell us its already paid, so would generally pay anyway which added trips to it or something, give me your mums number bank account number and i'll chuck $13.20 through.

So yeah now have a spare 1256 straight out of the viva, and another from Lynch which is complete minus waterpump, he reckoned it was a real good runner just been sitting a while, was just gonna chuck them up on trademe and see what I can get for them, feel free to make an offer if you like

Also the new lump of metal in the engine bay means the front of the viva now seems to sit even lower, not quite catseye smashing spec but it's getting closer. Will chuck up a few pics in the project thread now. Also single pee shooter sidepipe is in, might look at turning it into shotguns like so

v5iz2ccv.m53.jpg

Will chuck up a few bits and pieces in the project thread now

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28056-estate-s-viva-estate/page-2

ooo good progress. Get us a clear pic of the engine bay next update :)

Cant say I really dig the sidepipe thing... alas each to their own.

Hahaha many umms and arrs were had over the whole tollroad thing, whenever we tried to pay it would tell us its already paid, so would generally pay anyway which added trips to it or something, give me your mums number bank account number and i'll chuck $13.20 through.

lol dont worry about it. I had a laugh. I never thought you would have intentionally abused it, cause I know what happens when you try to pay a toll thats already paid for. If it were me I would have just thought there was a glitch in the system when it told me I already paid.

Interestingly enough though, there were 4 ex-family cars on my mum's toll account, but the old viva was the only one that had any trips on it!