coldturkey

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go... viva with sierra twink fitted.... :arrow:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... 527&page=1

Wicked info, thanks for that. My engine is a carburetted version of that so its a bit simpler in regards to wiring, looks like all he did was modify the sump esstential and it fit. Gearstick does look to be in a little bit less than ideal location though.

• 1 month later...

those DOHC Sierra motors aren't the beast - they are a totally unrelated series to the Pinto so parts aren't the same, they don't even make any more power and in some cases make less power - the redline for that DOHC motor is something silly low like 5900rpm anyway.

haha dont worry, it was a dumb idea anyway. The Sierra motor is now seized. No idea why, has heapsa oil, did overheat a little due to no fan. But basically tried to start it the other day and it was like "nahburger".

Anyway, ive sussed some springs for this, Toyota Altezza Lowering springs in the front, BMW in the back. The worry is that it will wear out the shocks ultra quick with the slightly harder springs, but I doubt you can get better shocks. The GT Munroes will do.

You'll be able to get something valved better front and rear. Just whip them out and take them down to Autolign in Frankton. They'll help you out with something a bit gruntier. Only Monroe GT Gas but I've never had a problem with them with hard use, providing they are a step up in valving to suit the higher spring rate.

rear shocks will be easy, as long as they have a thread mount at the top and pin mount at the bottom and is the right length it should be sweet - fronts on the otherhand is difficult, they are pretty much the shortest production shocks ever made, with only some Morgan car being shorter and with similar mounts (still needs to be modified) which cost around $300 per side.

Yeah the rears won't be too much of a problem, I got some brand new GT Munroes for the back for $20 (they are for a mazda 626 but simple eye to thread shocks).

You'll be able to get something valved better front and rear. Just whip them out and take them down to Autolign in Frankton. They'll help you out with something a bit gruntier. Only Monroe GT Gas but I've never had a problem with them with hard use, providing they are a step up in valving to suit the higher spring rate.

How can I tell with the ones that I got? Just a spec on the shock out of the factory is it?

rear shocks will be easy, as long as they have a thread mount at the top and pin mount at the bottom and is the right length it should be sweet - fronts on the otherhand is difficult, they are pretty much the shortest production shocks ever made, with only some Morgan car being shorter and with similar mounts (still needs to be modified) which cost around $300 per side.

Yep I found this out after reading basically the entire shock catalogue... Might just try run original shocks in the front until I figure out what to do.

Now all I need is a berth to free up in my garage..

I too have the viva curse, good luck with your project

Ive got heaps of HC parts if you are after any, just hit me up.

Oh and I realised today that my 'on hold' parts car is 1971 so it gets cheap rego now.... the car seems pretty identical to my one apart from the speedo is in miles...are you thinking what im thinking B1. Probably a a bit of a fail to jepordize a legit vehicle in order to save some rego costs though

Well get some new shocks and get them shortened at the same time. I think Autolign charge $80 to shorten each shock, or something like that. I've never bothered, I just get the right length to begin with but they have suggested that option to me a couple of times over the years. Don't quote me on price, was a few years ago now but it shouldn't be too much if you do get stuck for something to put in.

Well get some new shocks and get them shortened at the same time. I think Autolign charge $80 to shorten each shock, or something like that. I've never bothered, I just get the right length to begin with but they have suggested that option to me a couple of times over the years. Don't quote me on price, was a few years ago now but it shouldn't be too much if you do get stuck for something to put in.

The rears springs bolt in, so theres no point shortening the rears. Just need something that has enough travel so it doesn't bumpstop your ass.

And the fronts cant be shortened cause they have an eye on both ends, and being that they are already the shortest shocks ever made you cant find any shorter ones. They are seriously like 30cm end to end. Fuel reckoned you can space out the mounts a little to make the captive length a bit shorter, wouldnt wanna do it too much though.

You should be able to get it shortened still. The eye is just welded on any way, isn't it?

Probably getting a bit expensive to do it that way though, and a bit of mucking about.

Other option would be to get custom progressive rate coils made up that begin soft so they are captive, but compress down to a higher spring rate. Not sure if I would trust Springtown to do this.

• 3 weeks later...