JZX81 - Second wind

thegreatestben

Ben, thought about getting some good hard shocks from a ute or something shortened?

I like hard shocks on lowered cars.

Some have a habit of cooking standard shocks after 5000 kays with lowered / harder springs.

I ordered in some Z32 ones but they are too short in the front and the rears are a maybe but the bottom mount is the wrong sort.

Still looking, spent an hour reading through various monroe catalogues.

Other option I ordered is some Merc ones. will see how those turn out.

MX83/same thing:

16082010478.jpg

Oh and no utes have this type of shock.

Z32 was looking real promising until it had the wrong mount.

Rear:

Screenshot2010-08-16at102228PM.png

Front:

Screenshot2010-08-16at102253PM.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents ... hSheet.pdf

Awesome chart, being electronic you can search within it for multiple terms and it highlights them.

Choice

Mean, thanks to this chart I *think* I've worked out what will happen and what need to make to get the car to drop as close as possible to the amount I intend.

Body's are the same diameter, already knew that part though!

Screenshot2010-08-17at121317AM.png

So I worked out that if I put the ST185 strut into the JZX81 housing I'll need to make a 2.625" spacer to go beneath the shock. This means I'll have lost 1.625" of stroke length which is just over 40mm and the weight of the car should drop it down to the 50mm reduction I am looking for. If it's slightly over I'll trim the spring a tad to get it close. I'm hoping to keep the original spring in place but the extra preload should stiffen it up. They are rather large open coils so they shouldn't bind.

Got my front inserts today, turns out KYB part number was individual. $100 each where as equivalent monroe's were $154 for the pair.

Should be the business.

Now for rears it looks like early MX5 front shocks are gonna be the best bet. Again that monroe chart has been super duper helpful!

Screenshot2010-08-18at11909AM.png

71220.png

71285.png

I like having enthusiasm.

My new old stereo turned up today, a reasonably flash yet old Sony CDX-M630.

51EMS03HJML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pretty sweet for only $89. Even had the unlock code sequence written on the head unit.

Here's some pics and a bit of a how to: JZX81 Stereo install - cellphone pic edition.

Old CD unit, didn't really work very well.

11082010474.jpg

Big hole: (yeah I skipped a few steps)

18082010480copy.jpg

I had bought some of those magical adaptor plugs so I wouldn't have to cut anything.

Yeah so the plugs that came out've the back of the headunit were different, "bastard" I thought to myself

Spotted an amp down in the recess, had two more plugs that looked about right.

18082010481copy-1.jpg

Mean

18082010482copy-1.jpg

All tested out fine

18082010484copy.jpg

Finished until I install new speakers + amp etc.

18082010485copy.jpg

Rear Aux in comes through the cubby at the bottom. Sounds WAY better and looks flash :D

They are quite shiny, but I think the photo is hitting the angle just right in that photo.

Don't notice them in car.

I know it's not ITB's, but I'm pretty sure these should add to a healthy dose of slam.

19082010488.jpg

Just need my front tires sorted so I can put it all in and borrow guard roller for same day planning ahead action.

Got my tires for the front rims, thanks to Alistair for being ultra GC and picking up and couriering.

Tires aren't really as stretched as I was hoping but meh, I think I'll be able to get some sweet tuck with them.

Still boat as, formulating slam plan. Gonna machine some extensions for the top of the MX5 shocks as I believe it will put it on the ground/won't fit as they are.

Here's how it's looking

26082010496.jpg

Here's how I hope it's gonna lookish

26082010496-ps.jpg

Screwed in to factory bracket, it's definitely in as far as it's meant to go.

Those shiny things are flush against the outer edge of the din slot, I'd imagine those are clips for the surround it's meant to have. It really doesn't stand out at all when you aren't looking at it specifically, flipped down it exposes about half of the inner face so you can put cd's in. Quite a choice headunit for the money.

I've also added a 12" sub + 4 channel amp which is powering the rear speakers too. I've installed the fusion 6.5" components in the doors as well, I put the tweeters flush mounted in front of the inner door release. I need to get a reasonable 2 channel amp for them, I don't really understand/care about what amp etc, just so long as it's ratings are compatible with my speakers. Sounds pretty good at the moment. Amazing how loud it is inside and then from the outside you can't even hear it. Quality.