advice from 4AGE champs

ms53_wagon

Picked up this the other evening.

saw it after it just got listed on trademe for $150 bucks buynow so snapped it up. bought it more for some of the RWD accessories really.

came with RWD inlet manifold, RWD timing covers, RWD water thing on the back of the head, ecu, fuel rail plus whatever is in the photos.

Got a few questions about some of the photos, would be much appreciated if some knowlegable peeps could provide input!

can anyone tell if this is a bluetop ECU?

DSCN2418.jpg

what is this oil feed for, an oil cooler?? turbo??

DSCN2419.jpg

any idea why sump has been modified?

DSCN2420.jpg

is this a RWD alternator bracket or standard fwd?

DSCN2421.jpg

what the hell have they done to the water pipe here? there is an additional tapping here next to the water temp sensor.

DSCN2422.jpg

is this a bluetop dizzy?

DSCN2423.jpg

standard cams?

DSCN2425.jpg

metallic looking head gasket??

DSCN2426.jpg

also what can i do (bar taking off head) to tell the condition of motor? the engine does turn over but i dont really know too much else to look for? spark plugs looked all the same, and clean.

Is it possible to do any sort of compression test?

cheers

Dan

The drain in the small ports is into the block, no 4age drains into the sump like that, that set up is home made, will be to stop the head flooding with oil at high revs, was a big prob in the early motors. And yeh, def not a 4age dizzy. Also that looks like a blue top ECU. Not sure why it would have 2x water temp sensors and a fan switch? (unless the had 2x water temp gauges?) Is there still a sensor on the back of the head in the little block that feeds the heater core?

sweet, dizzy is pretty fukd anyways, must have got smashed in transit/removal at some stage.

do you think that oil drain comes off that pipe at the side of one of the cam covers??

also, that water block on the back fo the head has 2 sensors on it still, and one water pipe that comes forward to the water pump.

I cant see where you would hook up heater pipes to either?

Im not sure where the oil drain would feed from? Some ppl do feed them from the cam covers.

There would have been a steel pipe along the side of the block, that went from water pump to heater core, and then from the core back into that block on the back of the head, but it looks like your one has had the pipe replaced with a rubber hose? If it was in a race car, they prolly didnt use a heater core.

Also, the block seems to be a 7 rib (rather than a 3) so is the stronger block.

The sump has been made bigger also, not sure what it would have been in, as cross member on most 4age powered cars would go through that added on section?

P1010765.jpg

^ that shows std sump, rwd alt mount, and std water inlet thing.

sweet,

7-rib is the red top bigport aye? i heard that they are not really as good as the earlier bluetops..? dont rev as good?

yea not sure what it has been in..? the owners dad who was there when i picked it up (was pissed as too haha) mentioned something about some ford race car buildings on the nth shore..? maybe it was out of a ford....

seems like a bit of a mongrel engine then.

7 rib is the best block, not sure if they came with small port heads, is possible as that block dont have the external oil drain that the later 7 ribs have. The blue top/big ports are said to be a bit smoother/better reving as they have a smaller crank and con rods/lighter internals. I really cant remember all the different combos as my memory is so shit :D

hmm,

so fwd bigport redtop with rwd stuff,thats been running on carbs (looks like the injector hole have been pluged?)

cams look standard. or if not are something pretty mild.

alternator bracket looks rwd, pump and pulley rwd

im also with the opinion that someones added that drain in sump, to stop the oil issue. or it has had a smallport head on it

gasket probably stock they have metal bits. trd gasket would have black coating.

some of the rwd outlets have a 2nd sensor hole in them. but that one looks welded?

looks like somethings been done to the head recently. since its clean and rest and cams arent..

sweet,

might just pull it apart for something to do and see what the condition looks like inside, if i keep it for the ke26 i would wanna make sure its gonna be a mint runner anyways - might need some sort of rebuild..?.

can you run bluetop internals (lighter, better revving?) in a redtop 7rib block?

also, if its a complete redtop bigport engine, can you run bluetop ecu? or would you need redtop ecu etc?

should really do some reading up on 4ages - what are some good sites - that club4age website?

chur

also, whats the thing the arrow points at?

DSCN2423.jpg

Yep the big senders like that are for a oil press gauge, the smaller ones are for a idiot light

and no, you cant run bluetop internals on a 7 rib block as the mains and bigends are 2mm smaller on a bluetop. although there have been a odd couple that were factory machined with bluetop shit in them. cant tell without opening and measuring.

you can still rev the shit out of a seven rib block though. 4ages love that shit 8)

and the early seven rib blocks came with bigport heads. they started going to smallport heads on ae92's