Mazda RX7 - Series 3 - 12a Turbo (factory) information??

Toddy

Hi everyone Toddy here,

this is my first post so.. be gentle with me. :)

Ive just bought a series 3 12a turbo rotary and 5 speed for my conversion.

I need as much info as possible please, if anyone has owned a series 3 rx7 (12a turbo model) or if anyone has played with a factory turbo 12a please tell me what you know about them. Theres vacuum lines everywhere and im sorta tryna figure out whats what.

Pictures, internet links, other builds or just knowlege would be choice.

Shot guys, Toddy.

hello and welcome.

yup 12ATs have vacuum lines for africa. I have some underbonnet diagrams kicking around somewhere, will find and post them up for you. They show some (not all) of the correct routing.

I do know that contrary to popular belief they are EGI and not carby, albeit via a form of semi-direct throttle body injection, so hopefully you've also got the loom and ECUs and all that other garbage required to run it. what exactly are you trying to do, adapt the engine into something else?

no doubt one of the more knowledgable rotary peeps will come along with more info soon enough, but for now here's a couple of links with general 12AT related guff: here and here

thanks heaps bro that second link is real helpful. yea vacuum lines everywhere aye those diagrams would be awesome to have a look at. yea well here's where it gets fun ive got no ECU or loom. . . .

it's going into a MK2 corty. ( i know that'l probably annoy heaps of guys on here but i didnt want to do an SR20 or CA18 and unfortunately theres no way i could afford a cossie :cry: ive always had a soft spot for turbo rotarys. )

but yea keep the info coming please boys.

If you have no ECU or loom it would probably be ALOT easier to go aftermarket with the ECU.

Not too sure on how the 12A-Ts are set up, but I think it would most probably make the majority of the vacuum lines redundant.

Depends on how far you want to go with the engine though.

didnt the injection all together, mod the highrise manifold and run a blow through carby setup with a good fuel pump and rising rate regulator.

If theres is anything in perticular you want to know (sounds like your motor is still running emmaion control) then im happy to help. Between me and mates we have had a fair few 12ats

Any particular reason you want 12at? 13bt are a LOT newer, more powerful (12at primary ports are stupidly small), parts and aftermarket stuff is infintely easier to come by, gearboxes WAY stronger etc...
because he already has it .

with a smashed dizzy and lack of gearchance in gbox due to someone being a touch rough during transit .

i think it was reasonably cheap to get was the reason , however getting it in the car in running is going to offset the cost a a 13b i reckon .

be less reliable too

smashed dizzy

ooooh ratshit, i think 12at ones are dif to normal s2/3 elec dizzys - vacuum retard setup i think, prob get away with normal one locked within the appropriate advance range though. Don throw away the J109 ignitors if you bin the dizzy.

What sort of car? I vote auto s6-8 13bt, remove all bullshit turbos/injection add 1 x IDA, 1 x elec dizzy, 1 x 10 pound flywheel (auto has counterweight to add aftermarket f/w), 1 x man box, 1 x cusom cross member or 12a front cover, plug a few holes, Done.

smashed dizzy

ooooh ratshit, i think 12at ones are dif to normal s2/3 elec dizzys - vacuum retard setup i think, prob get away with normal one locked within the appropriate advance range though. Don throw away the J109 ignitors if you bin the dizzy.

What sort of car? I vote auto s6-8 13bt, remove all bullshit turbos/injection add 1 x IDA, 1 x elec dizzy, 1 x 10 pound flywheel (auto has counterweight to add aftermarket f/w), 1 x man box, 1 x cusom cross member or 12a front cover, plug a few holes, Done.

i shall pass the info on if he dont come back on , foreman at work is his old man haha

smashed dizzy

i shall pass the info on if he dont come back on , foreman at work is his old man haha

Or even leave the factory injection/manifolds on and run an air box + programmable computer could be another option.

hahah cant get away from these truckstop's boys theyre everywhere i go! :lol:

and yea like glen said ive already bort this thing cos it was a good price so its no help hearing how much better a 13bt would be fellas..

as far as that dizzy goes im under the impression ive got a matching series 3 on its way in transit now, lets hope these hopeless cunts dont smash this 1 huh? :x

but thanks heaps aaron that sites spot on mate il defintily be having a read up on there for sure.

hahah cant get away from these truckstop's boys theyre everywhere i go! :lol:

and yea like glen said ive already bort this thing cos it was a good price so its no help hearing how much better a 13bt would be fellas..

as far as that dizzy goes im under the impression ive got a matching series 3 on its way in transit now, lets hope these hopeless cunts dont smash this 1 huh? :x

but thanks heaps aaron that sites spot on mate il defintily be having a read up on there for sure.

nah im not glen mate . james

i also cannot belive how much you got for the goat motor . blew my mind

make sure you do a good build thread on this cortina!

I'm gonna at some point fit my 12a elford turbo into my viva so always keen to watch other people doing similar :D my engine is a simple old suck through carb job though,

good luck with the build!