nothingsfree's beams dx...

nothingsfree

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers dude.

Those are the standard Altezza headers. The only thing hes done to them was port matching, as there was quite abit of metal sticking out. Other than that, he cut them off just before the second flange, and just welded new pipes on from that point.

Apparently the standard headers flow pretty well, so alot of people just stick with them...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I liked the quote about being prepared to push it off a cliff, if reference to race cars. A little strange that it made you go from a KE70 to an FC3S though? :lol:

Look forward to seeing progress on this now that you are back into it. The BEAMS conversion has been done a few times into these or similar now, so likely plenty of mistakes have already been made to learn from, which is always a good thing.

Haha, yeah was a few reasons for choosing an fc for the race car. Mainly I found a very good condition rolling body for cheap, but also its a more capable chassis to handle the intended power etc.

As for learning from others experiences, Simon has already gone through the joys of fitting it in his ae85, and to a large extent the chassis are very similar. I have the engine and box mounted now, its sitting basically where I dropped it in. You cant move the engine forward or back very far without something important touching. But its not really a problem, as where is sits, is where I want it anyway.

Will have a few updates over the next few days, as I try to get the thread current..

As for the rusty car, no it was a white dx I picked up. The rest of the body was in real good condition, all the normal trouble areas were rust free, like completely. It seems it had saved up all its rust, and stored it in that passenger side of the wiper tray.

But yes it was a big waste of time, as I didnt find the hole until I had already cut the firewall and gbox, started mounting the 13bt, and completely stripped the car. :rolleyes:

Hey dude, you asked ages ago about headers for a Beams. Dunno if youre still interested or not, but if you are, may have some details for you. Simon is currently building up another Beams 3s to replace his standard one. Hes going all out with a n/a build, cams, pistons etc. Anyway, hes got the specs to build his headers from some very knowledgeable guys..

Yep the rca drops the steering arm down, so both the tie rod and the bottom arm are dropped down. But because the car has been lowered quite abit :lol:, along with the extra castor, shorter p/s arms etc, the tie rod end is still near its limit. The length of that spacer is not what I will end up using, it was just some aluminium rod we had lying round, so I fitted it so everything could be bolted together. The final product will be shaped like an icecream cone, so there is a much larger surface area against the bottom of the steering arm, and shorter...

I may be wrong but that thing looks like its gonna be so fucking low?

Mad

That is the plan. Hence the effort to get the arms and angles sitting better, as the height it is sitting at in the photos on the hoist is the height I am aiming to have it driving at. Obviously the wheels are drooping in those pics, but it only droops about 20mm roughly, so if I wind the HSD's up a little till that is the static ride height, I should be good for clearance, travel etc.

Will find out once its actually drivable I spose...