POR15 vs Smooth surfaces?

nothingsfree

also after opeing tin make sure you put a film of gladwrap between the tin and lid when you close it - will stop it forming a skin and going off.

Good call although I did this and it still went off after a while (was quite a while to be fair) next can I bought I transferred over into a jam jar. Seems to seal way better.

Everything KKK said.

It fell off the last new chassis we did like we'd painted over oil.

Loves rough stuff and rust I use it in my floorpans etc its bulletproof.

Better chance of having it stick to sandblasted metal thats been previously weathered that new stuff too.

Oh and its not that hard to get off the skin it doesnt stain it like fucken rust converter just give it a scrub with some meths and scotchbrite. But yeah do wear gloves they're like 5c each.

In the FAQ on the POR15 site it says its fine to use ontop of a clean freshly sandblasted surface.

Ive got a question tho.. If you used POR15 what should you use to paint on top? ( Lets say you are painting the whole shell etc )

The guy down at spray store recomended not using any Urethane or acrylic paints ontop of the POR15 paints

In the FAQ on the POR15 site it says its fine to use ontop of a clean freshly sandblasted surface.

Ive got a question tho.. If you used POR15 what should you use to paint on top? ( Lets say you are painting the whole shell etc )

The guy down at spray store recomended not using any Urethane or acrylic paints ontop of the POR15 paints

epoxy primer. but why would you paint a whole shell?

The por15 pint itself is isocyanate based, like brakekleen, it can be really nasty shit if you overexpose yourself and you can become sensitised to it, you get an asthma type attack, not at all nice.

There is a specific primer/sealer to go over the por15 and allows you to paint whatever you want over the top, the primer covers much like the por15 itself, so coverage is good. The metal ready is brilliant, for the cost i wouldn't consider using por15 without it.

• 1 year later...

They recommend using their tiecoat primer over the top of the POR15 before paint.

I used POR15 recently to paint the chassis under my wellside, did the whole system, marine clean, metal ready then POR15.

I wire brushed it to get the old paint off the roughed up with some sandpaper to provide a good surface for the paint.

Did 2 coats and used about 300ml of paint all up