Subaru motor on downdrafts.

isnowi

Hi all, does anyone know of or has anyone done a subaru motor on twin idfs or drla's? a la aircooled vws?

I'm thinking that the carbs off of an alfa 33 or similar (drla's) correct me if i'm wrong, could be a reasonable match to an early 1800 subaru, plus they would look and sound pretty sweet. I haven't found much in the magical world of google, and subaru is unknown territory at this point.

cheers, Dan

given the layout of a suby motor, it would be pretty bloody easy. Just hack the flanges off the standy inlet, and make some flanges to suit the carbs. Then get a mate with a TIG to fizz them togther for you. You'd then need to either have a split accelerator cable made, or jimmy up a linkage accross the engine bay. Given that suby motors are so short and so flat, I don't know why somoene doesn't just stick an S/C12 on top of one, and punish some tyres bigtime?

Damn that would be awsome! You could mount them sideways, and have a 45mm dellorto sideraft on each side, with air ram vents in the bonnet over each carb. I wonder if the early 4wd gearboxes would be able to handle a drag launch? or would that be a lunch? :badgrin:

Well, at the moment i'm looking to replace the polo with a late brumby, the ultimate plan is for some taller tyres, a moderate lift, and some engine work to make sure it an handle the jandle as far as pushing the taller tyres. I'd like to stay with the stock motor which will most likely be an ea82, if i can find a reasonable ea82 turbo then that will probably be the simplest and shouldn't need a cert, as the brumbies came out with this motor (i think) for a short period of time, however chances of finding a mid eighties subaru turbo lump in serviceable condition are probably pretty slim. Thus i'm thinking some nice pipes, and some decent carburation might be the next best option. Or i track down an ej carb motor and try to fool my wof man into thinking it is the factory motor..

But a pair of idfs or drlas sticking up would be pretty choice. A bit of manifold fab is not too scary, i'm sure i can put something together to cope with the thermostat etc. IMG_0895-1.jpg

Heres an ej22 with a pair of idf's.

Don't wirte off the possiblity of finding a non fucked turbo motor. look for a NZ car. Most of the turbo's were imoprts that got their clocks wound back hard. I owned an NZ new turbo leone wags once. It had 320K on the clock, and the motor had never been touched. (The guy I bought it off had put the last 120k's on it)

They are such a good motor that they use them in gyroplanes. (A mate of mine with a deathwish is building one) And you can't use fail-tastic motors in the aviation buzz.

ej20s need chassis rail cutting too i believe.

heck, even that later ea engiens (ohc) are a bit more than bolt in from memory

brumbys are sweet, too. jsut be careful about rot, very VERY careful

Later brumbys came with ea82, which is purportedly the same width as an ej, the earlier ea71 and ea81 models had narrower chassis rails.

I'll probably end up buying a late 80's one (if at all) won't be buying a rusty one, will be choosey.

cheers

need to finnd alfa 33 1.7 if poss to get 40mm idf dhla, 1.5 gets 36mm,

33 1.7 ie is injected later

CUl8er might know where a pair of these carbs are.

brumbys are sweet, too. jsut be careful about rot, very VERY careful

I once owned an early twin round headlight ute. The damn thing could climb trees in low 4. (Once pulled air so big the landing pushed the tyre off the bead) But they are notorious for cancer. Mine had shitloads of rust lurking beneath the paint. it was a feric oxide timebomb. Plus the CV's were so fucked that they didn't so much click as roared road driving down the road at 50kms.

I know a guy who was selling a turbo ea82 rally spec, approx 150 at the flywheel. Let me know if keen, I'll se if it's still about. It has sat for a number of years though, so condition a bit unknown.

Siamese exhaust, so this engine doesn't have huge power potential. I think the WRX spec ones were ~200HP

Any brumby '82 on will fit an EJ straight in. Best option for power + reliability, the EA82s blow a gasket at the first sign of overheatin I'm told.

Any brumby '82 on will fit an EJ straight in. Best option for power + reliability, the EA82s blow a gasket at the first sign of overheatin I'm told.

I'm still struggling with this.

bro used to have an ea81 powered one that was like an 83 or 84 build. we sold it to a chap who ran it for a few years then tried ballin' an ea82 in there when the ea81 got worn out after like 80'000km. he had to cut and weld a fair bit of the chassis rails in the engine bay

thus, anything else i've ever READ has dispelled the bolting in of an EJ series motor. I'm not saying Im right but I'd jsut like to ask isnowi to be careful with the assumption that it will.

waimaks, where are you?

also, we only managed to get the bros one stuck like, twice. once was fording a river and it was around headlight height in deep, unsettled shingle. the engine cooling fan flicked water all over the dizzy when we lost momentum and killed it. whole interior flooded and shit. ended up breaking a ring and bending a rod and rooted the engine. smoked like a train but we still rolled it for ages like that til we found another good ea81 engine.

other time was at the river again. hit a rock wrong and popped a tyre. got stuck on a sand bank coming back out up to the road to change the tyre. lol.

they're alright in the mud too. we only ever have 'kelly 70' tyres on it too. jsut gotta get the momentum aspect right and you'll plough through heaps of shit you thought you wouldn't. so choice.

I'm still struggling with this.

bro used to have an ea81 powered one that was like an 83 or 84 build. we sold it to a chap who ran it for a few years then tried ballin' an ea82 in there when the ea81 got worn out after like 80'000km. he had to cut and weld a fair bit of the chassis rails in the engine bay

thus, anything else i've ever READ has dispelled the bolting in of an EJ series motor. I'm not saying Im right but I'd jsut like to ask isnowi to be careful with the assumption that it will.

waimaks, where are you?

also, we only managed to get the bros one stuck like, twice. once was fording a river and it was around headlight height in deep, unsettled shingle. the engine cooling fan flicked water all over the dizzy when we lost momentum and killed it. whole interior flooded and shit. ended up breaking a ring and bending a rod and rooted the engine. smoked like a train but we still rolled it for ages like that til we found another good ea81 engine.

other time was at the river again. hit a rock wrong and popped a tyre. got stuck on a sand bank coming back out up to the road to change the tyre. lol.

they're alright in the mud too. we only ever have 'kelly 70' tyres on it too. jsut gotta get the momentum aspect right and you'll plough through heaps of shit you thought you wouldn't. so choice.

I'm confused too, one site i found claimed that the ea82 was fitted to late ones, but i don't think that is right, another site says there are 2 distinct generations of the pushrod motors, and that the post 83ish ones are wider than both the ea82 and the ej series of motors. It seems that the twin carb ea81's had different heads which might be the cause of the extra width, apparently they had divorced ports rather than the Siamese ports of the earlier motors.

I htink it'll be a case of getting a brumby and seeing what the easiest/best is, i don't want to be chopping chassis rails etc so that will ultimately dictate what i do.

Umm, ok, Bare with me. I forget things and am bad at explaining, and I can't guarantee this is all correct.

Early shape brumbys - EA71 1600cc, 4speed 4wd with no low range, 'Narrow' bellhousing with top mount starter.

UNI_0469.jpg

1981 was the last year of that shape, and they got the EA81 1800cc and a low range gearbox. Word is that these ones have the same top mounted starter bellhousing, Buut both mine appear to have the same bellhousing as later EA81's, with starter offset a bit. The EA81 is wider due to longer stroke. Both are OHV pushrod.

The next shape.

P1030376.jpg

'82 onwards were the same 1800 and 4 speed box.

There were turbo ea81 and dual carb ea81 but I've only seen a few of the dual carb engines in NZ, and never either in a Brumby.

As far as I know the brumby was produced till the mid ninties or something without changing a lot, just add ons, removable moonroofs extra options and whatnot.

Have heard about dual carb and turbo brumbies from factory, but don't have any evidence/good luck finding one.

The second generation brumbies have wider chassis rails than the earlier ones, by how much I don't know.

The ea82 motor is similar to the ea81, 1800 but is OHC, the carbed ones have the same or similar intake manifolds I believe, MPFI ones have an intake port per cylinder, still only 1 exhaust port per head though.

Being SOHC the ea82 is wider than the ea81 and requires some cutting (or hammering).

The ea82 has the same bellhousing as ea81 to my knowledge.

The later EJ's from legacys and whatnot, I believe have a different bellhousing so an adapter plate is nessassary unless you replace the gearbox also, then then may be dramas with getting correct ratio rear diff, shifter linkages and actual space in the trans tunnel.

I think the sohc ej22 is relatively narrow compared to other EJ's, (dohc ones etc) and maybe even narrower than the ea82, but still requires chassis rail modification on both generation brumbies, just not as much.

Also, the ea82 is a bit meh.

Also, cunts love these motors for microlites and small planes, theres a bit of aftermarket stuff but its super spendy and I don't think always applicable for vehiclular use...