Subaru motor on downdrafts.

isnowi

Also, cunts love these motors for microlites and small planes, theres a bit of aftermarket stuff but its super spendy and I don't think always applicable for vehiclular use...

Agreed. SUB4 modifies EA81s by fitting dual port (both intake and exhust) heads of their own design which are also twin spark. They make 115hp :badgrin:

Here are some pictures to drool overefdiojpcoldlfs;fpldf[ l....... Sorry my fingered slipped from all the drool on the keyboard :lol:

sub4.jpg

engine-1.jpg

sub4-2.jpg

My car + SUB4 EA81 = :badgrin::badgrin::evil::twisted::badgrin:8):D:D:D

As far as I know the brumby was produced till the mid ninties or something without changing a lot, just add ons, removable moonroofs extra options and whatnot.

Have heard about dual carb and turbo brumbies from factory, but don't have any evidence/good luck finding one.

The second generation brumbies have wider chassis rails than the earlier ones, by how much I don't know

I sometimes chat to my local Subaru Mechanic, Snow Mooney who just so happens to be Possum Bourne's Rally Mechanic from when Possum campaigned an 1800 Coupe.

He's always going on about the twin carb EA81s as they ran one of them for the first two(?) seasons I think before switching to the 1984 RX coupe which was EA81 turbo. He's a wealth of knowledge and a real good bloke and I can ask him more about the early eighties Subarus.

Actually, my old ute had a twin carb 1600 in it, but it cracked a head. So the guy I bought it off fitted an 1800, and jammed the twin carb manifold on it. It used so much gas that I put a single carb back on it. I sold the twin carn mani on trademe ages ago. Sum dude from down south was beaming to buy it.

I was of the understanding that the manifolds can't be changed between the 1600 and 1800's, due to being a different width.
jammed the twin carb manifold on it

:lol:

But seriously, I also thought that the manifolds couldn't be interchanged as the larger stroke of the EA81 results in a taller (or wider if you look down on it with the motor in operating position) cylinder head and therefore wider spaced intake ports.

I've seen conversions people have done with a EJ22 into a brumby, Phiziinza did one in OZ with a cool hybrid gearbox:

http://offroadingsubarus.com/ej22swap_f ... ngine.html

A quick google brought up this thread which says the quad cam won't fit, only the 2cam EJ22:

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15828

The brumbies are just cut down wagons, chassis is the same. Everything you can do to an EA81 car you can do to an 82+ brumby.

lots of info on http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/ if you haven't come across that already.

I so want a good set of heads for my EA81, an EJ definitely won't go into my 81 brumby without help from

grga9020kd.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
The brumbies are just cut down wagons, chassis is the same. Everything you can do to an EA81 car you can do to an 82+ brumby.

Not quite? I think its based on the more on the Coupe chassis.

Doors are the same as a brumby.

The latter shape Brumby only came with ea81 from factory.

In the US you could get it fitted with the turbo but only came with auto and the floor pan was diffrent due to having the auto.

You can fit a EA82 but like said you will need to cut the frame rails abit.

same with a 1800 and 2200cc ejs I think?

Turbo ej needs alot more cut to fit the DOHC in there.

Well i have a brumby, it has had an ea82 poked in at some point and has mayonaised big time...

10 litres+ of oil and water milkshake in the sump, may be due to blown frost plugs in head, but mayo in radiator suggests BHG too.

Now i'm at a crossroads, options:

1: strip clean and reassemble motor to factory specs, assuming bores, rings and bearings are ok. Should only need a gasket set, some time and patience (bound to be incidentals too)

2: rebuild stock motor with trubo heads (twin port) and idf's. Will still need gasket set, also heads carbs and manifold.

3: ej18/20/22. Will need stock carbed sohc motor, gearbox adaptor. cert too i spose The most expenditure upfront, but konwing os cars and me, probably the cheapest option..

Thoughts, comments etc...

you'll want to do rings and bearings too. rings don't like being used twice. they'll never seat the same and you'll blow like fuck out the breather/smoke/burn oil. for the $100 for new rings you' be silly not to.

also, if the bearings were in good condition before water entered the oil then they likely wont be now. look carefully for scratched/marked/damaged shells. you'd be amazed what a bit of water will do to them.

again, for the money they cost, replace them while you're in there if you go down that track