Doing secondarys on Carb

FuzzayD

I have been told by a few of me wee friends that if you wan't more power out of a carb'd car that you can "Do the secondary's" on the carb but none of them can explain to me what that entails. I have thought maybe larger jets or maybe a secondary fuel circuit but i recently bought a wreck off one of these wee friends who told me it's had the secondary's done. The only thing i can see is that the choke butterfly is linked to the throttle butterfly.

Any one know anything about secondary's? Are they real? Are my wee friends using a term out of context? Does linking the choke to the throttle make it go hard?

if the only information they can give you is that you should "do the secondarys bro" then they probably don't really know what the f' they're talking about.

My guess though would be that they probably mean something like taking a 2 barrel progressive opening carb with vacuum operated secondarys and altering the linkages to give it mechanical operated secondarys. This may give the car a more sporty feel/sound (less smooth response) but wont really make it any faster and wont make it any more powerful at all(provided the carb was working correctly to being with).

re jetting and changing choke sizes may give you more power but it depends on what else has been done to the engine. But thats no called "doing the secondarys", it's tuning the carb to get the most out of the engine package.

So final answer is - "doing the secondarys" does squat. If the stock carb is a piece (some stock carbs are) then maybe put a suitable type of weber on it. But ultimately changing carbs/modding carbs isn't going to give a very large increase in power unless going to a 1 thottle per cylinder setup or some factory setup where the carb is a huge restriction.

Yea as above best thing you could do is get a carb kit and rebuild that spare carb you have and make sure its running well to factory specs, bigger jets or stuffing with the secondary's isn't going to make it run better or 'go harder'

Go to a second hand book store and try find an old book about carbs/engine maintenance, got one when I was starting out with cars. Learn about all the different circuits in a carb and what engine/air speeds/conditions they apply to. Then shut your mates up by knowing what your talking about

have seen a couple of rotary engined veehicles with carb secondarys modified to open mechanically, thus giving the illusion of more power due to the fact there is a big flat spot and then surge. = wanky.

the reason a holley carb with mechanical secondaries is known as a double pumper is because it has two accelerator pumps to stop the lean condition when the second throttles are opened

Well, I sort of disagree a bit. Simple things like removing the choke flap from the 2nd venturi can allow for more air flow = more power. But really, you want to increase the choke size and rejet. The thinking behind it is that the stock carb design is restricted by fuel consumption rather than outright power, so you can improve one at the loss of the other.