can you get an LSD for a crown diff?

RUNAMUCK

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So.. took the Altezza LSD, the live axle diffhead housing and the axles into the diff shop yesterday.

I had assumed you could use the Altezza crownwheel and pinion, but the guy said they had a different offset and that he'd have to swap the live-axle diffhead's crown wheel onto the LSD centre and use it with the live-axle pinion in the housing, ok thats not really a big deal as they were the same ratio anyway..

He then proceeded to tell me that he was pretty sure the Altezza's carrier bearings had a larger outer-diameter and would most likely not fit into the live-axle diffhead housing. I told him that I had it on pretty good authority (teh intarwebs said!) that the only difference is the bearing's inner-diameter, and this is due to the LSD-centre being larger that the open-diff's.

So we kinda agree to disagree, and he says he'll do the swap and that he'll give me a ring if anything pops up (i.e. bearings are different, as he says).

I head home and decide to try and edjamacate myself some more on this bearing bizniz, I manage to find a website selling Toyota Part #90368-50006 as the side bearings for an LSD SXE10 Altezza. This part number matches the part number given for a "Tacoma" (I'm guessing this is American for Hilux) F-series front diff, on the "Celica-Supra (MA45/46/47) diff swap" post that is on various sites around the net (I figure you guys have already seen it). This post suggests that this 90368-50006 bearing *may* be necessary to run an LSD in the F-series housing, but the author isn't 100% sure. The post also has the carrier bearing part# for the live-axle w/ LSD as 90368-50024 - different part# to the Altezza/Tacoma, but the guy has got some measurements taken from the various bearings which lists the Tacoma's bearing as having identical dimensions to the MA46. So assuming bearings #90368-50006 are what my Altezza diff is using, I'm thinking that they should fit into the live-axle housing, despite being different part numbers.

Is anyone aware of there being any variation in the outer-diameter of the carrier bearings between live-axle and IRS F-series diffs? or maybe even between live-axle diffs from different cars etc?

Basically I'm kinda suspecting that this diff guy is just telling me that the Altezza bearings aren't going to work so he can pad-out his fee.. Then again I could be mistaken, or equally so could he. If he comes back to me and says that the Altezza bearings won't work and I need to fork out for some new bearings, it'd be nice to be well-enough informed to tell him that he's spinning stories - or not :)

He also predicted (carrier bearing issues aside) that the old pinion bearing would be the first bit to go once the LSD was being used in the live-axle, as the LSD centre will put more force on it and eventually bust it. This seemed to make sense, but I was wondering if any of you guys who've swapped an LSD centre into a non-LSD housing (with a used pinion bearing) have had this happen, and if so how long did it last before giving out? (obviously this would depend somewhat on the condition of the bearing to start with). The price he quoted for a diff rebuild to replace the pinion bearing was more than I can afford at the moment ;)

did this diff guy measure anything up or had done the swap previously before saying these things? theres one guy in the link below saying he used a spacer on the crown.. who knows if he kept the gears as a set.

i found the live axle side bearing was wider than the altezza.. but the width of the carriers were different so they ended up both being 150mm wide outside to outside once fitted. outside diameter was the same. pretty sure ID is same too. its the WIDTH that varies.

different offset crown? sure these are same ratios? live axle head has side bearing adjustment nuts.. they're there for good reason :)

will be interesting to see how you go with it.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthrea ... +live+axle

Nah, I didn't get the impression that the guy had done this specific swap before - and our discussion about bearings etc. all happened when I dropped the bits off at his workshop, so before he'd been able to measure anything up. He had to ask me what spline the axles were so I'm not totally convinced he knows the full ins and outs of these diffs. The guy rebuilds diffs for a living though, and appears to be the only outfit in Christchurch so I figure he's capable-enough. More pro than I am anyway..

Ah so it's the bearing width thats different! That would probably help explain the different part numbers. When I read elsewhere that the LSD centre was larger, I just assumed it was the circumference of the centre that was bigger - also that Celica-Supra MA46 Diff Swap howto lists the non-LSD MA46 bearing as having a slightly smaller ID than the LSD MA46 bearing.

Pretty sure they're the same ratios - counted up 41 teeth on the crownwheel and 10 on the pinion in the open-diff, and same on the altezza crownwheel.

Damn.. didn't think to ask what type of altezza the diff came from - Stupid. Have fired off an email to the guy I bought it from to find out... just waiting on his reply. However when I had the open diff and the altezza diff side-by-side, the crown wheels looked freakin' identical size-wise, the only difference I could spot was a slight variation in the shape of the side of the altezza crownwheel (i.e. not the teeth) - maybe this is the cause of the different offset that some people mention..

Kicking myself for not pulling it all apart and doing some more measurements before I took it in to the shop - Had just assumed it'd be smooth-sailing.. Foolish ;)

It's really just wait-and-see at the moment I guess - the diff guy reckoned he'd have it ready by the end of the week - and as of yet I haven't received any phone calls telling me the bearings are different so I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Will post updates when I find out more :)

img4824small.jpg

:D

Ok, so I called the diff shop this arvo and it turns out they'd just finished with my diff - all fit in sweet they said. Awesome!

Go in after work to pick it up and talk to this older guy who gave me the impression that he was the one who actually did the work, turns out everything inside the Altezza IRS housing, including the crownwheel and the pinion + its bearing, fits into the live-axle diff housing, no spacers or any funny business required. Also for this LSD at least, there was no need to trim the axles.

Internet: 1, Younger cunt at the diff shop: 0

Stoked!

Sorry bro, I believe my diff is out of an MA46 Celica/Supra, not a Crown.

BUT this shouldn't matter, as all Toyota 7.5" F-series live-axles share the same diffhead (afaik anyway), so if your Crown has an F series diff then this swap should work for you.

I just started asking questions on this thread after I came across it looking for info on F-series LSD setups and noticed there were some knowledgeable people posting here :)

ma46 is a US spec'd supra.. which we didn't get? our ma45 are the jap spec ones and have a smaller 6.7" diff. :oops: hmm.

ha yeah costs a fortune to store the shit too. ended up building a diff rack to get the live axles off the floor :lol:

good to hear it worked out. are they still adamant the original crown/pinion wouldn't work with the lsd?

ma46 is a US spec'd supra.. which we didn't get?

Hrmm.. The guy I bought it off actually said it was from a MA63, but I've never heard of one of these being live axle so i figured he just got the numbers mixed up (63 -> 46?). Might be a MA63 diff then, not a 46 ;)

Its 4-stud disc brake and about 1420mm wide. Looks identical to MA46 pics I've seen on the net.

good to hear it worked out. are they still adamant the original crown/pinion wouldn't work with the lsd?

Yeah, I think the old guy was telling me they used the c/w + pinion gears from the open diff, but swapped over the pinion + carrier bearings from the IRS diff, but I recognise the open-diff's gears from the marks I made on them to check the ratio and they're both sitting in my bucket of leftover bits, not in the diff.. Cheers dude, have come across heaps of the stuff you've written on the net and it's all been ace!

hey rob could you measure the diff you have and confirm its width from hubface to hubface?

Im looking for a 4x114.3 disk braked solid axle f series and the width of your diff is roughly the same as my current e series thats 1460mm.

Hey man.. diff is still in pieces at the moment, but I measured it with a tape before I pulled it all apart and it was 1420mm from hub to hub, give or take.

• 2 weeks later...
So, how much did the Altezza LSD cost and how much did the shop charge to fit it??

for a factory torsen you should pay around $250-$350, price usually goes up for aftermarket clutch LSd's.

I dont know how much rob paid but for a basic fit it shouldnt be more than $200, its simple in a live axle head

just to let you know i can get some lsds through work still just pm your car details and il see what i can do, at last check it was bout 1200 for a brand spanking new trd lsd with warranty and all, rediculously strong diffs and all f series diff heads the same on toyota catalouge just need spacers or different side bearings to fit some casings