Simple turbo questions.

Gaz

Because I thought the thread was a good idea it will be started again so feel free to askyour questions. This time ANY post that is not helping or is not a question is gone. No shit fights, no slaging others off, usefull info only thanks.

Gaz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HEAPS of good links here

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turbopage.html

&

http://www.turbomustangs.com/tmfaq.php

^^ boost spike, creep, turbo setups, heaps of other questions/answers.

How turbo works with diagrams

http://www.turborx7.com/turboinfo.html

Basic as info for na to turbo, also clocking your turbo, heat sheilds etc:

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_DIY-Turb ... ticle.html

Again conversions info:

http://www.racetep.com/turbo.html#conversion

Artical on venting boost/BOV

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Venting- ... ticle.html

Youve prob already seen this one Chris:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/19467 ... ons-7.html

Pics/diagrams: dont know what order they are in.

tialwastegateinstallati.jpg

wastegate.gif

wstgate.gif

Might post some more later. But that should answer a few of ya question Chris.

Gaz

GT2871R, internal vs external wastegate? You can get them with either. I've been told that there is not much need to use an external wastegate unless you are planning to boost more than 20psi. Any opinions on this?

no need to use external unless internal wont cut the mustard ..

the internals on the gt's are normally of decent size and i wouldn't think you will have a issue at all

remember psi is a measure of restriction .. not of flow

so you would have to take .. any advice related to psi .. with a grain of salt ... unless the engine is directly comparable with your own box of goodness

hope that helps

just my opinon :D

ok

my dumb question

how do you know what is the best turbo for your application?

in my instance i have been told that a hks GT2835 Pro S turbo is an ideal upgrade ( forget the price as you dont want to know ) its tried and tested on a few 1jzgte ( vvti ) engines with good results but what i want to know is

A) is this a big turbo??

B) if it is a big turbo what is a better upgrade than the ct15b ( lol i think thats the turbo on the vvti 1jz )

im new to the f/i thingy and will absorb any info that i get given

depends what power your after. in simple terms, it becomes a balance between lag and power.

as for your application. that turbo should be a pretty good compromise between power and lag. should have bugger all lag really. looks very similar specs to a gt2871r (theres a few different compressor wheel trims of these) they are all rated around 400hp. i'd be tempted to go a bit bigger on the exhaust side. but depends what you want from it.

for some kinda reference., as how big you can get away with. i was using a gt2876r(slightly bigger on the compressor side than above) on my 1500cc gt starlet. it didnt come on full boost till 5500rpm (about 20psi tho) so its going to come on a hell of alot sooner on a 1j. how soon? i'd be just guessing and throwing numbers out my ass.

giz some more info, and can probably help further.

my aim is 250 to 300rwkw and i think im being a realest there ( at the mo with shit tyres and with it poping off on the dyno 179rwkw )

but as im getting into alot more track work with this car i would like a turbo with like you say a good compromise between power and lag

and the moment with abit of guessing boost comes on about 4000rpm and above ( i have the ebc set at 5% gain )

so yea something thats not to laggy but still delivers power ( make sense? :? )

i may be confusing myself more by also asking this but how much would a decent exhaust manifold help the situation?

4000rpm really? seems pretty late. i would expect boost sooner than that, with that turbo you have suggested.

thinking about it more, i'd be tempted to go bigger, gt30 runs a bigger exhaust side which should be better suited to a 2.5L. gt3076r with a .82 exhaust housing might be a goer. the gt28 exhaust side just seems to small for a 1jz to me. im by far a 1jz expert, but the gt3076r would be my pick for what you want to do.

a decent exhaust manifold is always a good idea. definitely stay away from stainless ones, especially if you're using it on the track. too many cracking issues. how much you gain depends on how bad the current one is, and how good the new one is. but like i say i havent had much to to with 1j's. so cant comment.

I hear what your saying re: stainless exhausts but the cracking issues that people have seem to be because they use to high a grade of stainless. 304 seems to stand up to the heat cycles and if welded properly will be fine in a turbo setup. its when people use 316 + that shit seems to happen. if thats not the case then please, correct me :lol:

yeh, maybe i should have worded it differently. i suggested it more for the fact that, a heavy wall mild steel manifold wont have any issues,(unless poorly constructed of course) over your average trademe special stainless one. not saying stainless wont work. just best option to steer away from them

4000rpm really? seems pretty late. i would expect boost sooner than that, with that turbo you have suggested.

thinking about it more, i'd be tempted to go bigger, gt30 runs a bigger exhaust side which should be better suited to a 2.5L. gt3076r with a .82 exhaust housing might be a goer. the gt28 exhaust side just seems to small for a 1jz to me. im by far a 1jz expert, but the gt3076r would be my pick for what you want to do.

a decent exhaust manifold is always a good idea. definitely stay away from stainless ones, especially if you're using it on the track. too many cracking issues. how much you gain depends on how bad the current one is, and how good the new one is. but like i say i havent had much to to with 1j's. so cant comment.

i was running a gt3076rs on my 3sgte ... 1 bar at 2500 rpm ..... ..... on the 1j i would expect 2000 rpm 1 bar ...... but defiantly no later that 2500

decent mani will help early spool .. as well as a split pulse turbo setup .. as i used in the mr2

.. craig still has that turbo ... give him a yell .. but i doubt hell sell it

yeh, maybe i should have worded it differently. i suggested it more for the fact that, a heavy wall mild steel manifold wont have any issues,(unless poorly constructed of course) over your average trademe special stainless one. not saying stainless wont work. just best option to steer away from them

stainless is a really crap material to make turbo manis from /most because its a very abused and misunderstood material

it moves a lot when heated .. no matter the grade .. so that stress's everything

i think the main iuuse with the the trade me specials is lack of penitration/purge welding

if you dont purge the inside if a stainless weld .. its already cracked so the result is in inevitable .. it just going to get worse

if you want a stainless mani .. pick the right grade of material

get a welder who knows how to weld stainless properly and has the right gear to do the job ... if they don't purge weld it ... throw it away

and most importantly .. brace the turbo flange ... the flange itself should have no issue supporting the turbo .. without any other piping on it

steel is for the most part "self purging" .. but its dose gain additional strength and a far better internal finish if its purged

all welds should full penetrate the inside edge .. and if looking at the inside of the weld.. you shouldn't be able to see the edge any more .. just a bonded ridge

hope that helps

my aim is 250 to 300rwkw and i think im being a realest there ( at the mo with shit tyres and with it poping off on the dyno 179rwkw )

but as im getting into alot more track work with this car i would like a turbo with like you say a good compromise between power and lag

and the moment with abit of guessing boost comes on about 4000rpm and above ( i have the ebc set at 5% gain )

so yea something thats not to laggy but still delivers power ( make sense? :? )

i may be confusing myself more by also asking this but how much would a decent exhaust manifold help the situation?

yeh something must be wrong if its coming in that late, mates chaser has like no lag, just run 2 28s be sweet haha

lol it was a guess hahaha dont really look at the rev counter when im doing warp 9 down the whatawhat straights lol

good old wayne would be right it comes on way earlier

so a gt30 would be the way to go? not to laggy and still has a good power delivery?

as for the factory vvti manifold, yea its not the greatest,

again sorry for the " dumb Q " i know zip about turbos so you will have to bare with me

rgds

jarred

lol it was a guess hahaha dont really look at the rev counter when im doing warp 9 down the whatawhat straights lol

good old wayne would be right it comes on way earlier

so a gt30 would be the way to go? not to laggy and still has a good power delivery?

as for the factory vvti manifold, yea its not the greatest,

again sorry for the " dumb Q " i know zip about turbos so you will have to bare with me

rgds

jarred

bro a gt3076rs would make you sooo happy

just remember though ... there are different ones .... some have 5 blades some have 7

ill pop in today say hi to the natives (mik----e)