brake pipe- copper allowed in nz?

yoeddynz

if i bring my rx3 back to nz with me (if..) will i have to redo my brake pipes? I have used copper- high pressure stuff- fully legal here in land of long grey cloud!

Has anyone on here used copper and got away with it?

I used a short piece of copper brakepipe as part of a diff swap.That was way back before certs etc. I got told (by the WOF man) to replace it with proper pipe before it would pass a WOF. The rules might be different now.

Steve

Copper crystalises and will crack due to vibration over time hence it is unsuitable for use in a motor vehicle, especially on something as critical as brake lines. So bundy tube it is for you mate!

Case in point - copper tube is used in almost all air conditioning installations except for automotive - where instead aluminium and flexible connections are used.

bugger! :-(

Whats bundy tube?

Its not a hard job to change- just a pain. And steel aint as easy to do lots of tight bends without decent tools.

What about fuel lines? Mine are copper too.

I take the point about cracking but must add..

The copper pipes sold here in blighty must be certified and is better able to cope with vibration. And steel lines crack too- seen it. Not to mention rust- from inside out when brake fluid is old and has absorbed water.

I think if any pipes are done properly with secure mounts where appropriate all should be fine.

Not having a go but given how long copper has been used with it all fine and dandy here in blighty to me its just another fucking case of nz's vtnz office geeks creating more work.:(

So if i import it then i guess they'll ask me to change it all when it comes to the first new re vin test eh? Will i be able to drive it away from test to go do required work?

I'm not sure if i'm bringing rx3 back yet- will see what interest/offers i get here first. Plus i'm still not sure on the idea of an rx3 as a daily without the constant fear of the light fingered brigade!

Maybe south island is ok eh.. No car thieves there eh? :-)

bundy is like an alloy of soemthing - easy to bend. I bent all mine by hand/around a bottle for curves.

I have copper tube for fuel line in the morrie

na cant drive to test (just drive it there anyway, then push it around the corner :lol: )

whats that - people were chrome plating their brake lines and the pen pushers have said its not allowed! Fucking hell- ya wont be allowed to fit stickers soon!

Not sure on copper mix.

Yeah- rx3 possibly worth a bit more in nz but i have to get it there first. In many ways i'd like to bring back some thing different. Lots of 3's etc in nz where as here its rare hence creates more interest.

I fancy a lancia fulvia- that would be cool in nz. Bit slow though..

whats that - people were chrome plating their brake lines and the pen pushers have said its not allowed! Fucking hell- ya wont be allowed to fit stickers soon!

Not sure on copper mix.

Yeah- rx3 possibly worth a bit more in nz but i have to get it there first. In many ways i'd like to bring back some thing different. Lots of 3's etc in nz where as here its rare hence creates more interest.

Got done for having a for sale sticker on the rear windscreen of my datto wagon The sticker was 105mm in height from the top of windscreen it only allowed to be 100mm I got $150 fine fuck the world

Bundy tube, sometimes called Bundy pipe, is type of double-walled low-carbon steel tube manufactured by rolling a copper-coated steel strip through 720 degrees and resistance brazing the overlapped seam in a process called Bundywelding. It may be zinc- or terne- coated for corrosion protection. It is used in automotive hydraulic brake lines in cars manufactured in the USA since the 1930s.

A 1969 study by the SAE recommended the replacement of Bundy tube with 90-10 copper-nickel alloy UNS C70600 (Kunifer pipe) because of corrosion concerns.[1] Kunifer pipe has since been adopted by European automakers Volvo, Rolls-Royce, Lotus Cars, Aston-Martin, Porsche, and Audi.[2] Bundy pipe retains the advantage higher rigidity, which means less volume expansion under pressure.

It's commonly found on the back of old domestic fridges too. I hadn't factored in the ductility as a problem, but work hardening and cracking is still the end result.

Salt on the roads in the USA and Euroland is the reason for not using steel lines according to a brief look at the SAE study findings because they commonly fail within 5-6 years (!!!) so surely if copper nickel lines are fitted to your RX3 and certified in the UK, and manufacturers are fitting them to new vehicles being certified here, they can't knock you out on them?

Not sure on copper mix.

Got done for having a for sale sticker on the rear windscreen of my datto wagon The sticker was 105mm in height from the top of windscreen it only allowed to be 100mm I got $150 fine fuck the world

What has this got to do with copper brake lines?

What a twat

the sticker thing he was talking about was in relation to me talking about how fucking anal vtnz is about regulations- which in turn was in relation to me questioning vtnz's rules about copper pipes.

Tenuous i know but..

Anyway- maybe i'll just argue, quote facts- when mr vtnz complains about my copper pipes.

This world is getting so complicated!

I read your entire build thread when you posted the link. A bit of food for thought though, If the guy who does the compliancing sees ANY of the rust repairs, you'll be required to get a repair cert for the work. Thhis usually means giving some engineer type guy a wad of cash. But Of the ones I've seen done, the guy wanted to inspect the repair before during and after it was done. Which might cause you a headache.

fuck me this is getting shit- back in the day ya could do any thing to a car. Good ol kiwi ingenuity eh. Now its back handed money to engineers just to get a cert for a new fucking gear knob!

How long has this welding thing been about?

I'm a fitter turner by trade- might have to get my welding ticket again if that would help.

Or just sell car here:-(.