brake pipe- copper allowed in nz?

yoeddynz

Someone else who has been through it personaly might be able to shed a bit more light on it for you. But a mate of mine bought a JDM datsun 510 coupe. And to get compliancing I think the guy looked at it two or three times. A coachbuilder I know deals with a cert man here in CHCH. Maybe you'd want to find out if the pics from your build thread would be good enough to get it passed? Or try find some plates and tags from a derego'd 3 coupe, and just get it revin'd. I think the revin check is much less anal than the compliancing for an imported vehicle.

i'd rather not have to lie as it most likely will end up getting messy.

The guy in blenheim who used to check our sample welds for tickets is also a cert bloke for vtnz. I could try him.

I'm completely happy with the structural strength and took good photos- removed all the rot and replaced with new steel. It has filler but only to tidy things up- i certainly aint a pro so had to give places a skim.:)

Theres a really good cert bloke in nelson- cant remember his name but he wasn't anal- just realistic and fair. Did my old 2.3 chevette.

I wonder if i can do a midnight run from lyttlton harbor to blenheim.:) !

i used copper brake tubing on my race car

plus you can buy it of the shelf at most automotive shops

cant say i have herd of this before?

looking through my inv's for my race car and yea sorry

they wernt copper

it was bundy tubing

sorry

honestly man i think ( im going to get flamed for saying this ) you will be better off selling it in the uk, the euro vs nzd is still high at the mo so you will be able to get something better here with the exchange rate

plus if you chuck into the fact you have to ship it here

deal with nz wharfys and customs, and that can go wrong trust me

it kinda out weighs the cost if you know what i mean

but if you love the car to bits

do it

your right. On both things. It will be a hassle and i if get ok money for it here then with exchange rate i could get or build something else cool.

Your also right about me loving the car- not in a 'stick my willie up the exhaust sort of way though'... The more i drive it the more i get used to its shit but predictable and fun handeling the more i want to keep it. So i doing the homework now. If i dont get a reasonable offer here (and i'm not gonna chase silly big money thinking its a ferrari) then i might bring it back.

Which is why this forum is so bloody useful! :-)

How much would you get for it in the UK? I know a bloke here who is building a 13bt 808 coupe with rx3 tail lights etc, with a veiw onsell it when it's finished. If you're going to be able to get 15-20NZD equivelnt for it over there, you'll be able to buy a pretty sweet one here. BUT, you KNOW that yours is rust free.

i would hope to get about 5k pounds. 12.5 k nzd todays rate. A fair bit more than its cost me to buy and build but they never come up for sale here so supply and demand eh.:)

12.5k nzd wont buy me much rx3 in nz but would buy a good solid viva or chevette with heaps left over to modify.:)

But i love my 3. I must finish my viva so i can see how that is handling wise.!

yep-all matching numbers, i'm the second owner, i have original motor- a mates going to borrow it so we can get his 3 on the road for a road trip to belgium.

And interior is all complete and original excellent conditiion. Head lining mint, dash top mint etc.

I'll just have to wait and see what offers i get here, but in the mean time use it through summer and drive it like i stole it.:)

i'll just wait and see.:). I'm certainly not getting bored of it thats for sure!

Practical classics magazine are coming over on monday to photo shoot and do article for the 'readers restoration' feature.:) wicked ! I'm well excited.

The answer is NO. you cant use it

There is two types of copper pipe. “drawn temper,” also knowen as “hard” or “rigid,” and “annealed temper,” also knowen as “soft.”

The use of Drawn copper pipe is the best suited material for brake lines over alu,steel or any other alloy. But Annealed is the worst material to use. And becouse you cant tell from looking at the copper pipe what type was used. It isn't safe to allow copper pipe threw. Most people if ask "did you used drawn pipe" will just say "yes" and have no idea what your talking about leaving a time bomb as the Annealed was brought and installed as it's half the price.

(So thats the reson why copper is'nt allowed).

And off the subject and in reply to other notes

It was interesting reading replys saying copper is'nt used as it crystalizes. Interesting as copper is about the third most malleable metal after GOLD and LEAD and Aluminium is way down the list. I'f Aluminiun was more suited to flexing then we would make are exstenshion cords with Aluminium conductors it's also lighter and cheaper. But this is not the case.

And Aluminium being lighter and cheaper is why it's used in the automotive world for aircon. It also requires very specialized jointing gear and dosn't require belding after installation but in saying that requires exspanshion joints or zones where it's held rigid and copper wouldn't require exspanshion points.

And for dimestic heat pumps it would be near on imposable to install (hard drawn aluminium) pipes threw wall cavitys eg (1/2" by .124" Hard drawn alu) you just cant bend that stuff you might aswell try bend a steel pipe.. The only con of copper is it's high cost.

The answer is NO. you cant use it

There is two types of copper pipe. “drawn temper,” also knowen as “hard” or “rigid,” and “annealed temper,” also knowen as “soft.”

The use of Drawn copper pipe is the best suited material for brake lines over alu,steel or any other alloy. But Annealed is the worst material to use. And becouse you cant tell from looking at the copper pipe what type was used. It isn't safe to allow copper pipe threw. Most people if ask "did you used drawn pipe" will just say "yes" and have no idea what your talking about leaving a time bomb as the Annealed was brought and installed as it's half the price.

(So thats the reson why copper is'nt allowed).

And off the subject and in reply to other notes

It was interesting reading replys saying copper is'nt used as it crystalizes. Interesting as copper is about the third most malleable metal after GOLD and LEAD and Aluminium is way down the list. I'f Aluminiun was more suited to flexing then we would make are exstenshion cords with Aluminium conductors it's also lighter and cheaper. But this is not the case.

And Aluminium being lighter and cheaper is why it's used in the automotive world for aircon. It also requires very specialized jointing gear and dosn't require belding after installation but in saying that requires exspanshion joints or zones where it's held rigid and copper wouldn't require exspanshion points.

And for dimestic heat pumps it would be near on imposable to install (hard drawn aluminium) pipes threw wall cavitys eg (1/2" by .124" Hard drawn alu) you just cant bend that stuff you might aswell try bend a steel pipe.. The only con of copper is it's high cost.

although the spelling is terrible in this (im gonna blame alchohol). thats some pretty good info chap , thanks :)

thats good info posted there david. Cheers.

The copper pipe sold here is fairly easy to bend. But legaly to sell it for brake use it has to be rated for the job. Its been used used for decades here and the industry seems very happy with it. Although nz appears to have become the 'land of rule books' i'm sure that equaly if something wasn't safe here in britain for general use then they would clamp down on it! Britain is following strongly after the usa in litigation stakes.ie.. Anything that could get someone sued if it fails will get removed from use pronto!

The way i see it is that if the right pressure rated copper pipe is used and supported properly as you should with any brake line subject to vibration then it will be fine.

Its also interesting to note that in most countrys race car drivers- particulary rally- prefer copper because in event of the pipe getting smashed by debri on track or rocks etc it will just deform but not split.

This is all irrelevant to me anyway- if mr vtnz says its not allowed- it aint allowed! :-(

Alex'about to buy some bundy' davidson.