retarded guy fitting diesel alternator to 4g63

bubblegoose

hmm, after reading, it seems that alternators are sized so their max rpm(not max output) is about equal to the engine max rpm, so a diesel alternator would need to have its pulley(or the other pulley) changed to suit, on one site i read, it said that max alternator rpm is 12000 to 14000, so whatever that works out to be, which I think should also give you almost max power output at idle

my engine will be running a 37amp(factory) alternator at the moment, unless i find a bigger, better suited one, and I will be running a similar setup to you I think

just a thought but if your thinking of doing this i can prob see you running out of vacuum under hevy braking , all the light trucks ive seen have tank for holding vacuum , however ive not looked at other systems , im sretty sure some diesel vehicles that dont have the tank have a butterfly on the intake manifold that can close to cause vacuum , how the other ones work i dont know :S , in short ive pulled one of those vacuum pumps apart (which needs oil feed aswell (i think you know this)) and i dunno ive it could shift enough air to create enough vacuum in a short enough time .

What do you need vacuum for?

The brakes?

The brake booster has a valve in it to hold the vac. All you need to do is blip the throttle a couple of times. Slowing down with the throttle closed will also give good vac.

A lot of Diesels are 24V, you'll need a 12V one. The load on the motor is proportional to the current the alternator is supplying. A 35 amp alternator will put the same load on your motor as a 100 amp alternator if the battery is fully charged, it's in the same car and so long as you're not trying to suck out a rediculously large load like sounds (mentioned) or lights.

Steve

if you're keen on it then the 24v thing wont be a problem at all.

what forced probably didn't realise before posting is that hiluxes, l300s, l200s, navaras, corona diesels, pug diesels blah blah blah blah blah all have vaccuum pumps on the back of their alternators for this exact reason.

and they're sure as fuck not 24v.

alot of the utes and stuff have also got vaccuum tanks. 4x4 hiluxes definitely do.

they';re heavy duty as fuck usually to charge the larger batteries required for diesel engines.

if you're not a wuss you could adapt any of these probably.

you may need to run a dual belt, or, shudder to think, gilmer setup if you're so inclined to help stop belt slip without killing fanbelts and having it slip as you're running alternator load PLUS vac pump load.

mean

also you probably wont need a vaccum pump.

perhaps you could be even more eccentric and get a vaccuum pump and hook it to a cooling fan motor, and to a relay that switches it on every tie you hit the picks, or when it falls below a certain vac level in a tank

eccentric ftw

im not plumbing my intake into my booster thats the reason why im doing it (personal preferance so stfu)

i will not be running sounds or gay shit like that

and i was planning on using a 5 rib belt, the alternator is the only thing running off it, no fans or power(girl) steering so slippage should be an issue