is it worth putting twin webbers on a hillman hunter?

Beaver

hey all.

thinking about putting a pair of weber 40s on my hunter (there are some on trademe), and at the moment the engine is completely stock (1725cc, single stromburg side draught). can i expect any half decent gains in terms of power? or would i need to work on other areas of the engine to make a difference? ie exhaust etc. i understand that its not going to turn it into a rocket ship, but yeh, just wondering if its worth it? or would i just be wasting my money.

cheers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy them if cheap enough and build a firebreathing 1725.(ie cam, head work, big valves, extractors and 2" exhaust) but they would be waste of time on standard engine. Will drink gas like water for eff all increases, plus they will also bore wash the cylinders with fuel and stuff the motor.

Is your iron head or steel????

If steel you will need the iron head, why not put the strombergs on????

Had a Holbay Rapier which uses same motor with twin webers factory and it flew 8)8)

But made my previous one just as fast with basic porting, good extractors and strombergs :!:

Not called the hunter grunter for nuthin..

Webers do make a wicked sound that is worth every cent tho

its the cast iron head, so intake manifolds are fuckin hard to find. it needs a bloody good tune actually, so maybe i should start from there. i spose it would only really be worth it if i was going to go to whole 9 yards which to be honest i dont think i will unless i win lotto haha

its all ways worth getting parts even if your storing them for future use

we have a iron head ( been ported and polished and double valve springed ) on my partners hunter

it gets up and moves

just peace it all together slowly man you will get there

cheers for that man. yeh i see your point. ill keep an eye on them and ill see how it goes. itd be awesome to have a hunter that surprises a few people when they see my tail lights trailing into the distance......... haha one day

Will drink gas like water for eff all increases, plus they will also bore wash the cylinders with fuel and stuff the motor.

Unless there jetted for a 1725 or similar.

Yuh. shouldve really mentioned that.

yeh they are straight of a hunter 1725cc engine and are jetted correctly etc..

I'm pretty sure you won't need to go to 45's for a little push rod 1725 with a standard head. 40's should flow sufficiently for that I would think.

I would say go for it too, even just for something to do for fun. It will be a cool little project and providing it is jetted and tuned correctly it should see some results, just don't don't expect too much and you should be happy. Once you open up the intake you can then, down the track, do a bit of port work, skim the head, do the cam and get some extractors and that should really get some nice gains for you. By then it might be worth looking towards those 45's but I'm sure the 40's won't be a huge restriction.

I ran 40's on my 2l 16v vw, they only started to run out at 7.5rpm so im sure they would be fine on a 1725

How could you tell that it was the flow of the 40's running out and not the flow of the head, or the duration/lift of the cam?

Is your iron head or steel????

Don't you mean........ Is your head cast iron or aluminium?

yeh they are straight of a hunter 1725cc engine and are jetted correctly etc..

Different cam timing requires different jetting but probably not too fat out.

Only one way to find out.

Skimming the head for more compression is just plain stupid. End result is always a gasket that will never seal properly.

Steve

yeah I would like to know also - isn't skimming the head the standard practice for heads which have been slightly warped due to overheating or blowing a gasket etc? I would have thought skimming a head would make the surface more flat and get rid of the imperfections infact making the gasket seal better? I've skimmed the head on two engines of mine and not one has blown a gasket after.

theres nothing wrong with skimming heads, decking blocks its comin practice @ most engine buliders/workshops

and forced

were talking about hilman hunter 1725 engines that have been around for many years there cast, alley wasnt even a thought on these engines hillman imps yes hunters no

i should also say that huntds cyl head on her hunter is a ex race head

best to send your head to a camshaft spec like csl or franklin cams and get it flowed that way @ the same time you get a nice cam

fuck it im going to rip donnas old 1725 engine aprt this weekend and bulid a mean engine :twisted: she as most parts floating around in boxs