Certing Are you Allowed to????

BS5620

In most cases this is far more structurally sound than coming off the crossmember. In higher horsepower chevette/gemini/kadett builds its recommended to mount to the rails instead. A good mechanical engineer will know this, so certing shouldn't be a problem proving it is done well and the old mounting points are removed/tidied up in some way.

That said, for changes like this always talk directly to the person (or people) that will be certifying the vehicle. The last thing you want is internet advice resulting in you having to change the way the engine is mounted to please a fussy certifier.

on the same note, if i wanted to mount my engine back closer to the firewall could i just wled across some new mounts back from the crossmember?

mouting.jpg

second picture would just be box section welded across and mounts welded onto that. I think not a its not supported by anything/i don't no much on welding/anything.

on the same note, if i wanted to mount my engine back closer to the firewall could i just wled across some new mounts back from the crossmember?

mouting.jpg

second picture would just be box section welded across and mounts welded onto that. I think not a its not supported by anything/i don't no much on welding/anything.

I don't think that would be sweet aye. It would be hard to come up with a better plan without having the engine and bay in front of me though.

What you are suggesting would create a pivot point on the xmember and uneven loading on the bolts and mounting points, rather than the normal load conditions. That is if I understand the way you are thinking of mounting it.

I think you would be far better to try and mount to the chassis rails if possible and if not perhaps try and modify the way the mounts bolt to the engine block itself, rather than the xmember.

as funny looking as it is, people do do it. (to an extent, like 6" ish)

i dont know the deal with welding to the rails but if ur bolting to them take a million pictures of you putting crush tubes in

cause to proove there there to the cert man once the motors in is a mega pita.

/as brrrad said ring the dude and stop listinign to hungover sentra giving u advicce on the e-net

• Like 1

mouting.jpg

I don't think that would be sweet aye. It would be hard to come up with a better plan without having the engine and bay in front of me though.

What you are suggesting would create a pivot point on the xmember and uneven loading on the bolts and mounting points, rather than the normal load conditions. That is if I understand the way you are thinking of mounting it.

I think you would be far better to try and mount to the chassis rails if possible and if not perhaps try and modify the way the mounts bolt to the engine block itself, rather than the xmember.

I was thinking uneven load all stress will be on the bolts as well. The picture seems to show a bit more extreme mounting, 4-5 inchs max. I couldn't think of another way without new crossmember or mounted to engine as well.

I just print this page off and when comes cert time will show them this "na its alright the Internet told me"

Maybe run a small section of 6 mill out to the end of the plate on its end to confirm some strenth in it....

I don't think the issue would be strength in the plates themselves, just the twisting moment on the xmember and the additional stresses applied to the mounting points/bolts but he's talking only 75-100mm, which is less than I thought, so perhaps it won't cause any issues.

Maybe run a small section of 6 mill out to the end of the plate on its end to confirm some strenth in it....

I don't think the issue would be strength in the plates themselves, just the twisting moment on the xmember and the additional stresses applied to the mounting points/bolts but he's talking only 75-100mm, which is less than I thought, so perhaps it won't cause any issues.

speaks the truth hear bud your x member already has to deal with the transfer of mass from braking due to the forces exerted it through the suspension and in the opposite direction from the cars mass the body of the car will also pitch downwards and your engine will try and continue its horizontal path thus twisting your x member clockwise towards the front of the car.

If you do not do your calculations properly you could find you rip the x member out or crack mounts etc under heavy braking, key is to overengineer everything or allow for failure

engine in in shear underbraking .... clockwise would put the engine mount bolts in tension = not ok

they solve this from the factory by installing a cross member to the gearbox to support the box and stop tension forces buy limiting the lifting of the rear of the box/motor

personally

i would box it in

looks well under engineered to me for cert ...

IMO