Microtech MTX-8 give me good/bad news

Gaz

Who wants to give me the lowdown on a Microtech MTX-8 ?

One on trademe which I think is cheap?

$450 buynow with hand controler and cable.

Have been looking for an ECU but havnt managed to look into any brands etc yet. Was going to go link cause everyone else does.

I guess I just need the basic ECU but I dunno really.

For anyones info

Engine = ca18det

Slight headwork

Larger AFM

Larger TB

Larger Injectors

AM manifold and turbo

Maybe wasted spark setup

Cooler, filter, BOV, Wastegate, Exhaust

Thought id ask here before as I know a few of you have had and have experiance with them.

Gaz, currently googling that shiz.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dollar for dollar I think they are better than a Link.

I had an LTX-8 for my old Isuzu project. When I went to start the ecotec project I decided to just use that for it but found that if any pickup sensors or anything need to be changed, Microtech won't play ball if its a none current model. Link on the other hand will still support an old digi1, which I think is the main advantage when doing this kind of stuff.

Also, I think the difference between the LTX-8 and MTX-8 is that the L is already setup for laptop connectivity, where as the M isn't - you just need to get the interface etc. That will probably be why it comes with controller.

What I would do is get in touch with Microtech and just see exactly what the deal is with old ecu's and the costs to get the loom and interface that you will need. As its already setup for a CA18 it could be a good purchase really.

Getting someone to tune a car via a chip without actually having the car sounds like alot of guess work to me and not a safe tune.

Similar to me doing it myself. Yeah I could make it go, but how safe it is would be unkown, well, at least to me. Id also have to bye a wideband O2 to do it properly wouldnt I?

This was the way I was going to go about it to be honest.. But I was going to get someone who knew what they were doing to tune it.. If I cant find someone that knows the interface then it makes it alot more pricey im guessing.

A known Microtech for $400 odd bucks plus a tune for $400 and a loom for $150 makes a pretty cheap ECU setup Im thinking. Yes itd be around twice the price of the remapped and/or chipped ECU but im thinking it would be a better product.

Thoughts?

Gaz

Buy it new I'd advise. That way there are guarantees in place it'll work for work provided you give them sufficient details. If you got that one and it wasn't kosher with your set up, they could in all fairness ignore you.

It is only $400 I suppose, and really it's the main mechanics of the electrics that matter, which is where I had the problems cos the dumb cunts didn't listen and sent me the non dash 4g63 LT10. Do as Brad said and contact them

Also, I think the difference between the LTX-8 and MTX-8 is that the L is already setup for laptop connectivity, where as the M isn't - you just need to get the interface etc. That will probably be why it comes with controller.

i think im just reading what you said wrong but

lt -> can be connected to laptop via laptop adaptor dongle which is like $50

mt -> cant be, has to be tuned by handset

mt-l -> same as lt but has been 'upgraded' so it can be connected to laptop via dongel.

has it come off a nissan motor? ie you cant put a rotary one on a piston motor etc without sending it back i cant rmeber the specifics of why cause its been like 4 years since i installed one.

as in spam man, ask the person whos going to tune it. (unless that woiuld be you 8) then just buy it $450 unlimited hp fuck yeah) the values not going to drop a whole lot more seeing there really pretty good compared to ie d4/5 microtec.

Because thats what the engine runs standard and its easier to keep with it.

Actually I dont know whats involved in changing.

All you have to do is rip it off and get rid of it (I used fire and a hammer to get rid of mine :lol: ), and just run straght from the filter to the turbo.

And you need to run a vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to the ECU's MAP sensor.

ok take this with a pinch of salt, as I've never used a microtech - but I have never heard anything particularly good about them appart from occasionally on rotaries. I have also heard their support is crap as brad was saying.

also what does the ecu come with?

loom?

sensors?

do you know if it can interface with the OEM crank/cam position sensor system? this is one of the most critical parts really, if it cant I wouldnt really bother, find something that can.

also, can it fire your ignition system? does the CA18DET run a distributor, 2 coils/wasted spark or 4 coils?

Have had a chat with microtech dealers in Welly.

They say they are a good ECU that will do what I want fine.

Am still awaiting a price on the loom etc.

The ECU is a ca18det based ECU so no need to upgrade,, which you cant do anymore for that model anyways.

Ca runs 4 coils.. I got the manual for the ECU but dont really know what im reading.

Gaz