lowering car...

Beaver

hey all. the hunters currently in crammed up in my garage while i do a bit of panel work on it before i paint it, and while its not being driven, i thort i may as well take the chance to lower it. im going t get 2inch blocks for the rear, which will actually be a very decent drop as rear tires all ready sit level with the guards, and im going to get the fronts compressed. the blocks are obviously simple, but im a bit stumped with compressing the fronts. at the mo the front has smaller tyres on than the rear, so there is a larger gap between the top of the tire and the body and it looks a bit silly lol as i think the rear has sagged a bit too. i would like to go as low as possible without running into issues of rubbing,scraping, not getting in the driveway etc etc. wats the best way to ensure that i dont run into these problems after ive fitted the compressed springs? should i just see how much i can get them compressed while still being captive and bobs your uncle, or is it a wee more complicated than this?

sorry about the wall of text but yeh just wanted to get a few things clear in my head.

any tips/help would be appreciated.

oh and ive already had the cutties/compressed debate so please no CUTTIES MANG!! :D

cheers

mmmmm

my lovely g/f huntd on these fourms has a hunter ( really nooooo way ) :badgrin:

anyway we havnt done the front yet but what we done in the back was we just put in some shorter kyb shocks in the back end ( have to ask her what the part numbers were ) made a massive diff in the arse end and looks and drives millons better

i also have herd that ae86 rear springs fit in the front a-ok

so give that a wirl

Check out the lovells kings spring websites with measuring the diameter of the springs you have now.

It may be easier to call STOCKS and let them do the hard work then hit the wreckers yard and score for bugger all.

If you can post the diameter I maybe able to come up with a spring to fit without changing shocks.

Corey

could someone give me a quick run down on the best way to remove the shocks? i tryed to follow the manual but it was hell confusing. do i just jack up the car with the jack under the swing arm thing, take the wheel off, chuck on the spring compressers, wind them up a bit, take off the weight by jacking up the actual car, undo the 3 bolts on top of the fender in the engine bay, and then remove any obvoius things that will cause havoc ie calipers etc, and the the whole thing should drop out right? and then do i just undo the big nut on the top of the shock, and will this allow me to take the spring off?

cheers

Brew.

1 jack up car and remove wheel.

2 Undo lower arm from base of strut, as well as the tie rod end.

3 Remove caliper, try doing do without undoing the hose. If needed remove the clip holding the hose in place on the shock and carefully hacksaw a cut into the bracket and bend it so you can get the flexihose out.

4 Undo the three bolts in the engine bay, strut will fall out.

5 loosen the top hat nut DO NOT REMOVE IT

6 Bung on your spring compressors and tighten

7 Remove the strut top nut.

8 deal to the spring

9 reinstall top hat

10 Reinstall

Brew.

1 jack up car and remove wheel.

2 Undo lower arm from base of strut, as well as the tie rod end.

3 Remove caliper, try doing do without undoing the hose. If needed remove the clip holding the hose in place on the shock and carefully hacksaw a cut into the bracket and bend it so you can get the flexihose out.

4 Undo the three bolts in the engine bay, strut will fall out.

5 loosen the top hat nut DO NOT REMOVE IT

6 Bung on your spring compressors and tighten

7 Remove the strut top nut.

8 deal to the spring

9 reinstall top hat

10 Reinstall

i followed the above instructions, but where it says undo lower arm from base of stru, i undid the two bolts that attacht the ball joint bit to the bottom of the strut, and then should the lower arm fall away? or may it need some persuasion?

cheers

hey guys thanks for the tips, i got one side off, other should be a breze cause i know exactly what to do now. i just dont have a socket big enuf for big nut on top haha got a mate bringing me some tomoro tho. so hopefully will have both springs out within a day or to, cause im actually ment to be studying haha. once i have measured them up, i myt see if i can find some shorter springs off something that will fit in. if not, probably just get them compressed.

right...haha. ive run into trouble trying to loosen the big nut on the top of the strut. when i apply force on it, the thin rod of the shock in the stut just spins around, so i cant get the nut undone. should i just hold onto this bit with a pipewrench and yeh...haha or is there something im doing wrong?

cheers

That can be a bugger sometimes. I usually get around the issue by undoing that nut while the car is sitting on the ground. ie before it is jacked up. The pressure applied on the suspension from it sitting on the ground is enough to hold the shaft in the shock tight and stop it from moving.

If its too late, for instance you have already pulled the strut out sometimes you are lucky enough to have an allen key fitting in the top or a small notch that you can put a spanner or vice grips on to. If you are still unlucky enough that it doesn't have any of these then yeah, vice grips on the strut shaft with a rag or cloth also wrapped around to protect it should work.