Pinto Porting

nismo.capri

I'm getting through porting another 2L head. I still have work to do but it's coming along well. I need to do sort some better pics but here's things so far....

Here's the short story, before and after pics of the short side. It's hard trying to show the the how the sharp egde has been smoothed in to a curve

Porting2L-Inlet-before-afte.jpg

Here's the std port

Porting2L-Inlet-std003.jpg

The 2L is a good engine for it's day. If you are used to monden Jap ports the std 2L ports are just nasty.

I started by shaping the valve guide

Porting2L-Inlet-001.jpg

After ruffing the guide boss in to shape I started on the throat

Porting2L-Inlet-002.jpg

Then it was on to the short side radius and getting the best curve out of it that I could

Porting2L-Inlet-007.jpg

Here's looking up the port

Porting2L-Inlet-005.jpg

I like to leave as much of the inlet untouched as it's too big to start with and the casting helps atomise any fuel that's dropped out. An easy way to see this effect is to put a drop of water on a piece of glass and blow at it then do the same using sand paper.

The inlet isn't finished but it was close enough to get the valves cut and hit the flow bench.

I also ruffed the exhaust in to shape but becasue of a sharp edge I manged to make it flow worse at high lift than the std exhaust. This is no biggie as smoothing it out will get it flowing.

Here's the flow bench graph of the partial progress, I'm pleased as it's all were it should be what will tell the story will be the next

First-flow-2L-small(1).jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vizzard book has alot of flow data. not sure if its compairable to your testing tho.

His test's are at 25"H2O mine are at 28"

whats happening with the pinto build off??

Nothing as we would have had to build the whole engine to really prove anything which would be ok for me but a bitch for vvega.

I got port flow analyzer to spit out my data at 25 inches of water so it's the same scale as Dave Vizards tests. Taking in to account that I still have some work to do I'm pleased with the results :) ...hopefully the work I'm planing to do will pick up the flow at high lift.

I used Vizards "apple port" and Manly 44mm valve data.

flowtest-2L-apple-port.jpg

Lift Stock Nismo Vizard

0.100 51.0 49.8 54.0

0.200 91.0 105.9 106.5

0.300 119.5 141.4 147.0

0.400 136.5 157.9 167.5

0.500 146.0 167.1 178.0

(Vizard's data from Page 25 of how to modify Ford SOHC engines, fig 2-18)

awesome thread, old engines have some horrid castings marks eh! :shock: . I never knew how hard to go on the seat inserts, but it looks like you've taken shit loads off. Might have to give that a go :wink:

Do you use the 6mm grinder all the time or do you have one of those micro ones aswell? and do you touch the valve guide at all or just do the boss then put new guides in?

Mean pics, throw some more up

I'm getting there :)

I'll try and get some more up tonight but I've got a busy night on. Gotta drop off a PC I fixed for a friend (Don't for get to scan for spyware weekly!) and I'm going to Excort's to see if we can nut out his ignition problems.

awesome thread, old engines have some horrid castings marks eh! :shock:

Yeah :lol: the scary thing is the pics are Sierra head which is a nicer than the older cortina/capri castings

. I never knew how hard to go on the seat inserts, but it looks like you've taken shit loads off. Might have to give that a go :wink:

With big valves I use the std valve seat as my guide and cut right back to it.

Do you use the 6mm grinder all the time or do you have one of those micro ones aswell?

I only have the mini rotary tool with the flexi extension. With decent cutters you'd be surprised at what it can move for it's size.

and do you touch the valve guide at all or just do the boss then put new guides in?

With the 2L the best flow is taking the guide right out to the port contour, the pisser is that the 2L have a short valve guide to start with and doing this really shortens the life of the guides.

My guess is that the big reason why I haven't got the high lift flow comparied to Vizard is that my head still has all the valve guides, I'm still deciding if I should whack them or not...

Here's the exhaust. At the moment it's flowing worse at high lift than the stock head but I know that's becuse I haven't taken off the tight curve on the port wall.

This is the stock port

Porting2L-Exhaust-001.jpg

I start with the guide boss and work up the throat

Porting2L-Exhaust-002.jpg

Looking up the port

Porting2L-Exhaust-003.jpg

After opening it up a bit

Porting2L-Exhaust-004.jpg

Porting2L-Exhaust-005.jpg

less life more flow for me, would it be a option or possible to use heavier inserts on the valve guides to give it some more life?

good to follow this thread, nice work on the ports, maybe i should just send my head to you!

Thanks!

What would you go for with a ported head, modified guide bosses and less high lift flow or max flow and short life valve guides?