Leigh's 1970 Opel GT

leigh

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your old wheels look like five spoke Revolutions. I am not certain that trhe Compomotives are an improvement or not (you asked :D). Edit - actually I think the Compomotives make it look like a kit car - but the photos are a bit blurry so perhaps I am wrong.

Your old wheels look like five spoke Revolutions. I am not certain that trhe Compomotives are an improvement or not (you asked :D).

You're spot on with that buddy, five spoke Revos indeed. Not exactly sure on the compo's either and to be honest when I seen them against the Magnum they looked so right so that's where they can stay. I'm defo thinking of going banded steels for winter use though!

The dials are available new and i might replace them altogether cos the white ones are making me sick, I've even spotted a few sets on German eBay. Plus i have to replace that shite steering wheel - I might have found an original one actually. We didnt get the GT in Ireland either so parts aren't exactly readily available here

oh.. 4x4".. bugger. I like the original wheels too. Maybe a better tyre choice would be best?

Yeah, 4x4" exactly. Seen some Bassets rims in the States that are available in a slotmag form in 4x4" and are available in widths up to 10". Not expensive either but I'd have to factor in shipping fees.

The tyres need changing on the fronts for sure, they rub on lock and rob honest - they're 70 profiles for god's sake! With the wheels that are on it I was think of polishing the lips properly and spraying the spokes black to give dish a chance?

Yes you can still get Revolutions. Theyre on my list (4 spoke ones) for the midget when I feel richer

I reckon stick with the current wheels and polish them up with dark centres

revo5spk.jpg

Yeah, that's the idea i was thinking of for the wheels.....it'll make the rim more pronounced i think. I'll have to see what pops up in terms of decent wheels but then 4x100mm will fit with 'wobble bolts' so that opens up a bigger world of more modern rims and, more importantly, wheels that are still available to buy new.

Heading off for a week now, was supposed to take the car but the smell of fuel is so bad that the boss lady said no way.....kinda gutted as going to be going on some great driving roads. Ah well, it wont be the only time i'll have to drive it i suppose :(

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to mention it when I read that you were working on the breather - but if you can smell neat fuel in the cabin it is almost always coming from in front of the firewall

Got my fuel smell remedied it seems. Was away for a fortnight there and the car has had plenty of opportunity to clear itself out and it seems to have worked. Plus the fact that i overfilled the tank again about a tenners worth of petrol came out the vent pipe!

Just trying to fix a few niggles today and tomoro - brakes and clutch need fettling and a few cosmetics. I may opt for set of 13" superlites with a 2 1/2" polished lip - should be getting a go on those on wednesday or thursday so i'll throw some pics up then but for now i'm gonna do a quick polish on the revos and spray the centres

Is your 4x100 selection that bad over there? Most 90's> vauxhalls, renaults, VW's have 4x100 PCD so the aftermarket does a good range to suit all of those. My GT and the Magnum are 4x4" - close but not quite right so wobble bolts are required.

Got a stereo head unit and some JBL speakers to put in the car, the previous owner had some 6x9s in the parcel shelf but that means you cant get a spare in the shelf below so they've gotta go. Im going to replace them with speakers in the lower spare wheel shelf panel - there's not a lot of room in these cars for adding bits i assure you! Cant complain about comfort though, its a great little driver on the open road - just a bit warm in traffic

We have plenty of 4x100 cars but most of them have wheels like this:

73737394_full.jpg

The only way to get decent 4x100 wheels for an old school car is to be incredibly lucky or import something from UK. But given the average NZer earns about NZ$2 for every pound someone in Britan earns yet the exchange rate is roughly 3:1 so prices are half as much again, then add freight and tax which will double the price again...meaning wheels are about 3 times the price as in the UK and alot more mucking around

We have plenty of 4x100 cars but most of them have wheels like this:

73737394_full.jpg

The only way to get decent 4x100 wheels for an old school car is to be incredibly lucky or import something from UK. But given the average NZer earns about NZ$2 for every pound someone in Britan earns yet the exchange rate is roughly 3:1 so prices are half as much again, then add freight and tax which will double the price again...meaning wheels are about 3 times the price as in the UK and alot more mucking around

Oh man, those wheels are god awful! What type of motorbike are they off? I know what you mean about pricing, even for me its a curse as i have to factor in shipping costs to Ireland - nowhere in the league of your shipping costs but still valid. Ah well, i've just gone and bought 2 14"x7 slotmags for the rear end of the Magnum and its only cost me £21.99 to get them home!

• 3 months later...