Leigh's 1974 Vauxhall Magnum

CUL8R

Ha! Very good! Well i'm glad you like it. I have three sets of wheels for the car. The original Rostyle steels, Wolfrace Slotmags and then the Compomotive CX's - got the Compos on eBay for £40 if i remember correctly (13"x6J and 14"x6.5J's.) The idea is to polish the rim and spray the centre gold like i've done with the Slotmags. This was a quick splash of gold on the centres:

pics11jan007.jpg

pics11jan006.jpg

pics11jan005.jpg

Gotta get the car back on the road though, its depressing sitting inside making screeching and engine noises. I've two other old school cars but i gotta sell them as cash is at a minimum.

Got this Triumph GT6:

66701915f247c351830b4eb5bb10dbd50fc3063580e4c44fa46a91e6689b970149b92f7b.jpg

And a VW Scirocco:

sciroccoside.jpg

Thanks guys - as Hellraiser said im in Ireland so i've no idea about potage to NZ. The car goes great with the Twincam only thing is its the 1600cc - it was in the car when i bought it but obviously i'd have prefered the 2litre. I only get working on the car a day or two here and there as i store it at my folks house 3hours away. Its all the little things that seem to take forever though. I've just got the brakes put back together and i've to reconnect the clutch cable and set up a throttle return linkage then we'll see how it goes again! I'll try to get some progress pics on Thursday when i get home again.

I've a few articles in magazines of flying Fiats down your side of the world, the twincam seems to be pretty well supported there, am i right?

The twincam has reasonable support down here, but probably better support in the UK if you know where to go. You can buy all the bits over there you just have to know which supplier to goto. If you have specific engine questions try forums.turbo124.com or http://www.guy-croft.com

guy is a guru of the twin cam but he has his way of doing things and thats it to some extent. It makes sense more or less, but e.g. dont go there and ask him about slapping a turbo on the standard motor. I dont know if his prices for stuff are reasonable or not though since UK money/economy is different etc.

The twincam has reasonable support down here, but probably better support in the UK if you know where to go. You can buy all the bits over there you just have to know which supplier to goto. If you have specific engine questions try forums.turbo124.com or http://www.guy-croft.com

guy is a guru of the twin cam but he has his way of doing things and thats it to some extent. It makes sense more or less, but e.g. dont go there and ask him about slapping a turbo on the standard motor. I dont know if his prices for stuff are reasonable or not though since UK money/economy is different etc.

Thanks Testament, i've actually spoken with Guy about the TwinCam years ago and he was very helpful. Commands massive money but he's well worth it if you've got it apparently!

Been putting lists together for what has to be done on the car and its the stupid little things that are wrecking my head!I've a few bits and pieces i wanna do with the car - im sure you all have dreams too. At the minute, as i've said elsewhere, i've to fix up the clutch cable as the current one is too long. I also have to sort out the throttle cable as it was held together originally with a piece of a wire coat hanger. I'd love a set of twin webers for it but cant afford them at the moment. Other than that its good to go engine wise.

The electrics need sorting out as i had a numpty "fix" them and all he seems to have done was to cable tie them together!! I've just started putting in a set of BMW E30 headlamps (with the projector jobbies) and they will need connecting to the main loom and subsequent relays or whatever (im a total 'tard when it comes to electrics).

The brakes need completing - i've replaced the calipers with new items and i need to sort the master cylinder/servo out now. Then its bleeding them and trying it out.

Inside i've a pair of Porsche 944 turbo front (tombstone style) seats that i'm gonna get recovered in black vinyl with perforated centres. Im keeping the original rear but doing it to match. I've got that 7dial dash to fit once i work out how to connect it all up plus i have to make a panel to house the switches and warning lights. My brother is an excellent carpenter and has already made me an Ash panel to replace the current glovebox door and he doesnt know yet but he'll be making a center panel to replace the ashtray, an Ash surround for the 7-dial dash (instead of the current plastic/vinyl one) and also a centre console so i've somewhere to put a stereo. Now i found an original 8-track player and i'm gonna 'use' that in the console but have a modern unit hidden for the real sounds. Using hidden speakers where possible or at least putting them in unobtrusive places. I've got a design for pedals and i've also incorporated an old kick-drum pedal for a throttle! There's a new set of carpets,underlay and sound/heatproofing going in too.

Plenty to keep me going for a while before i get back to the bodywork, its ok for getting an MOT on it but will need attention in the future when the funds allow. I really just want to get the car on the road!!!

Bro, this thing rules. Looks bangin' with those mesh wheels. Really cool that its got a fiat twin cam in it. Would never have though of doing that to a british car... Mean

Nice one buddy, i'm lovin the look of the compos myself. Gotta get it going again so i can enjoy the thing!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Those wheels are going to look so sweet on that thing, I luff meshies

I know, i think they really suit it. I have to get back to polishing them though - they're pretty badly marked and its taking an age to do - polishing wheels is an absolute Mojo killer

Yes very nice indeed. I'm going to have to paint mine Black because it looks soooo good.

Yeah there are quite a few intense fiat followings down here now that you mention it.

Black is the way to go! I've now got a set of twin 40's to go on it but im too cheap to pay what i think is an extortionate rate for what is basically two plates and 4 tubes (manifold!!) so i'll be making one up when i get the GT back on the road. Hoping to get some more work done on the Magnum in the near future - got a new workshop so its easierr to work on, lots of reassembly to be done!